LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect smarphone to labview as EV3 brick

Hi,

i am looking for a way for the smartphone to impersonate an EV3 brick and to use LABVIEW to program it, all this using the bluetooth protocol, 

do you have any suggesions?

thanks,

) Itamar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,096 Views)

Hey Itamar123,

Can you please elaborate on the application of your project and what you want the functionality of your setup to do. Also, for what reason are you using a smartphone? Typically, smartphones are not used with similar applications to the EV3 brick. There may be a way to communicate to the smartphone, but the functionalities may be different.

Michael B.

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,059 Views)

Hi Michael,

I have elementry school kids that know how to program with lab view but dont have the robot, i can build an app on the smartphone the emulate some of the robot feature.

Thanks,

- I

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,014 Views)

Hi Itamar,

I found a white paper that talks about developing Bluetooth applications with LabVIEW. This may help develop a VI that communicates with your phone. 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3260/en/#toc4

You can also check out some EV3 emulators which run on desktops/ipads. You may be able to adapt your project in order to incorporate this service.

http://www.robotvirtualworlds.com/mobile/

I hope these links can help you with your project.

Michael

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,009 Views)

Hi Michael,

thanks a lot for you answer this really helps!

last question if you dont mind 🙂 , how does lab view ev3 mindstorm identify the brick as EV3 robot? does it have something to do with the bluetooth discovery protocol? 

because even if i connect my smartphone to the computer the labview doesnt "see" it as a robot....

thanks in advance,

- I

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,007 Views)

Hi Itamar,

Typically, to identify the EV3 brick click on Tools in the top toolbar, then in the dropdown click NXT/EV3 Terminal then from the top pull-down menu select FIND NXT/EV3. This should open a window to select the NXT/EV3 device.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,995 Views)