From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Web UI Builder and Data Dashboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spherical Controls for Controlling Quadcopter

Hi there, 

I just got into Data Dashboard and I do not know if there is anything like what I will suggest out there but is very simple.

In order to fly my quadcopter with labview through Data Dashboard in my tablet, I need to be able to pilot like if I had an RC in my hand. Ofcourse, for safety reasons I will not forget about RC and will have a second pilot in case communication fails or anything but I would like to try this, and the only possible way would be with some "Spherical Controls". I mean spherical just to state that you can manipulate it in 2 axis simultaneously at least. I know it would be more like a "Planar Control" but, RC are pretty much sphercial so thats where I get the name. I tried using XY graphs but I seem to be unable to use them as inputs. Does anyone know how to use indicators as controls?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,179 Views)

That's impossible, controls are inputs and indicators are outputs, you can't use them another way.

But could tackle this by creating a custom control:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvconcepts/custom_cont_ind_type/

You could also implement the AR Drone Toolkit ( http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/es/nid/211837 ) there are some really cool implemented projects on the internet ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoiwL0SK3jA )

With the toolkit you can create a graphical interface, like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Kudos are welcome 😉 marked solutions are awesome!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,119 Views)

Sorry but that doesn't answer my question.

My question is related to "Data Dashboard". The application that you deploy on a tablet/ipad/smarthphone or whatever to see data on realtime (from your tablet) and interact with the Labview VI runninng in the computer, for example. Not how to design a graphical interface in the computer (VI).

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,113 Views)

To answer your question; you can't use an indicator as a control. It is not possible in LabVIEW, data dashboard, neither any other software (You could use a control as an indicator, though).

You could design the interface on your computer (using custom controls) and interact with it using data dashboard.

Or just use a couple of scroll bars.

Kudos are welcome 😉 marked solutions are awesome!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,107 Views)

I simply need a control (IN DASHBOARD) with 2 axis of freedom, similar to a joystic. And 2 bars wont do it because u need to move each one separately and I need to move them at the same time to make the adjustments. Also, I would need 4 bars, 2 for each joystick, so not practical.

And thank you but again, the question has absolutely nothing to do with the design of the interface in the pc (which I already have). I simply need to feed the signals from dashboard and do so in a practical manner.

Regards, 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,922 Views)

I have controlled a quadcopter with Data Dashboard before, but only with limited functionality.  I used a vertical slider to control the elevation and a horizontal slider to move side to side.  I never attempted to move it forward or backward, and I kept it tethered to the ground so it couldn't wander off.  It was really only useful as a demonstration that it could be done.

-Brandon

Message 6 of 6
(6,914 Views)