From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Web UI Builder and Data Dashboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to connect Dashboard shared variables to a server on a different subnet. Any ideas?

My goal is to control a device that is connected to our wired network using an Android tablet via Dashboard.  I have created a vi with shared variables that controls the device as expected when it runs on a computer that is connected to the same wired network.  The problem is that my Android tablet running the Dashboard app cannot connect to the shared variables on the PC running the vi on the wired network.

Our wireless network is on a separate subnet from our wired network.  I am able to ping my Android tablet from the PC on the wired network but when I try to connect a variable in Dashboard, the PC running the SVE cannot be found.  I tried listing it in the alternative server settings window and it still did not work.  The only way I have been able to get around this is to run the vi which launches the server on a laptop that is connected to the wireless network and the wired network at the same time.  My tablet can then find the server and my VI can connect to the instrument that is connected to the wired network.  The laptop is somehow acting as a bridge between the subnets.  I need to find a way for the Dashboard app to connect directly to the PC on the wired network.  My PC IP address is 192.168.0.105.  My Android IP address is 192.168.10.93.

Message 1 of 2
(6,969 Views)

Data Dashboard doesn't care about subnets, but it has to be able to access the server using the right ports. There is probably a firewall blocking the shared variable ports. This document explains how to configure a firewall to allow shared variables to be accessed. Your challenge will probably be to figure out where the firewall is and how to configure it.

It is also possible that the router that your Android device is connected to doesn't know how to route to the other network. Again, that is an issue with your router that you need to resolve.

Message 2 of 2
(6,961 Views)