LabVIEW Time Sensitive Networking (TSN)

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

Setting up a Cisco Centralized Network Controller (CNC)

This document assumes you already emailed CNC request group for the access to the CNC software. Please see this link for more info.

Instructions below cover necessary steps to get a CNC software setup and establish the first communication with a Cisco IE4000 switch. There are two ways to setup a CNC software. You either download a preconfigured Virtual Machine (VM) or download a standalone CNC package and install it on your own PC with Ubuntu 14.04. 

Option A, a VM with a CNC already installed:

1. Download the ‘CNC VM.zip’.
  2. Unzip the content of the zip folder using the password you received
  3. The .ova file was tested with the VirtualBox which can be downloaded here
  4. Import the .ova file using the VirtualBox File>>Import Appliance
  5. Boot up the VM and login to Ubuntu with a default user name and password lab / lab

The CNC (VM), your host computer and the switch need to be set to a static IP address and the same subnet mask to communicate. The VM network is already set to the static IP address of 10.1.1.1 and configured to a bridged mode to utilize your host computer network adapter. The last thing is to set your host computer to a static IP of 10.1.1.x subnet 255.255.255.0

Option B, a standalone CNC package:

1. Download the 'CNC <date>.zip'
  2. Unzip the content of the zip folder using the password you received
  3. Follow installation instructions found in the 'DE-CNC-RefApp-installation_script_guide.txt' file
  4. Once the installation script is finished you'll need to set the primary eth0 of your Ubuntu machine to a static IP 10.1.1.1 (the eth0 will be directly connected to the switch using an ethernet cable) 
    $sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces

Append the following lines to the file

#static configuration for the TSN network
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.1.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 10.1.1.255
    gateway 10.1.1.2

5. Reboot Ubuntu. 

This completes the standalone CNC setup.

Preparing a IE4000 Switch for Communication with a CNC :
source link

1. Make sure the switch is already running a TSN enable software. If not, please complete IOS software installation covered in this document.
  2. Use IE4000 console cable to console into the switch. Putty works great for this, use the 'Serial' connection type set to 115200 baud rate
  3. In the switch console type in 
    enable
    configure terminal
    service internal
    exit
    license right-to-use activate tsn
     !(accept the End User License Agreement)
    write
    reload
  4. Switch will restart, it might take up to 2 minutes to boot-up. Once the switch is booted, continue with these commands:
    configure terminal
    enable secret admin
    username admin password 0 admin
    hostname <hostname>
    // recommended hostname is volt1
    ptp profile dot1as
    int vlan1
    ip address <ip address> <mask>
     // static IP of the switch. Use 10.1.1.x  but do not use the CNC IP or the host computer IP.
    no shutdown
    exit
    tsn cnc-server <ip address>
    // IP address of the CNC 10.1.1.1
    line vty 0 15
    password admin
    login
    end
    write

5. Ping the CNC IP address to check if the switch is able to communicate to the CNC. Similarly, open the Ubuntu terminal and ping the switch to confirm communication between CNC and the switch. 

UPDATE (1/4/2018):

There is an updated CNC license for 2018.

Download 2018 CNC license,  unzip the file with the received password and refer to the readme.txt file for instructions.

This completes the CNC and the switch configuration. Refer to this instruction video for a walkthrough on using the CNC software.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,855 Views)
12 REPLIES

回复: Setting up a Cisco Centralized Network Controller (CNC)

Hi Team,

Question about "2. Unzip the content of the zip folder using the password you received"

I am setting up the switch and cannot find the passwrod to unzip the content. What is the password?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(1,761 Views)

回复: Setting up a Cisco Centralized Network Controller (CNC)

Hi Amanda,

Please take a look at the first sentence in the main post..... You need to email CNCrequest@ni.com to request the password. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,753 Views)

Re: Setting up a Cisco Centralized Network Controller (CNC)

The readme.txt file for the 2018 CNC license doesn't actually provide any instructions on where to place the file and how to update the license. Is there any more information on this? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,424 Views)

The readme.txt in the same directory as the .zip provides instructions on how to gain access to the zip password. 

The readme.txt file inside the .zip provides instructions how to use .tar file to update license. (there is also one more copy of the file in the .tar) 

Let me know if things dont work out. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,419 Views)

Hey all,

I just set up the VM and found the license installation process a little confusing, so I've written up a more detailed guide:

1. To access files on your host computer from your virtual machine (VM), there must be a shared folder between your host computer and the VM. To create a shared folder, in the VirtualBox toolbar click Devices >> Shared Folders to open the shared folder dialog. Right-click Machine Folders and click Add Shared Folder. For the folder path, browse to and select the folder that contains the extracted license files. Select this folder, check the auto-mount option, and click OK to create the shared folder.
  2. Restart the VM, if it was running. This will mount the shared folder.
  3. Open the file browser and confirm a new device is present under Devices. It should have a name similar to “sf_<nameOfSharedFolder>”. For example, my shared folder was the Downloads folder on my host computer, so my new device was called “sf_Downloads”. I will refer to my shared folder by “sf_Downloads” for the rest of the steps.
  4. Now we have a shared folder, but we can only access it via root access. I moved files from the shared folder to the home directory through terminal commands, so I will explain that technique. Open a terminal by pressing CTRL+ALT+T on the virtual machine.
    • Steps 5 & 6 are not necessary, and only serve to ensure the files are in the proper location before attempting to untar them. Commands described in steps 7-10 can be executed from the lab/lab account with the sudo command.
  5. Logging in as the root user can make executing the script and troubleshooting problems easier. To log in as the root user, a root password must be set. To set the root password, execute the command "sudo passwd root" and enter a new password when prompted. Remember this password! It's the password for root access and if it's lost, the machine may need to be reset and reconfigured.
  6. Navigate to the shared folder by executing command cd /media/sf_Downloads. This will make the shared folder the working directory. Execute command ls to confirm the contents of the shared folder.
  7. Copy the .tar file to a writeable directory by executing command cp /media/sf_Downloads/Cisco_CNC_license_update.tar <your directory>. If you wish to extract to the home directory, execute cp /media/sf_Downloads/Cisco_CNC_license_update.tar /home. 
  8. Navigate to the directory where you just copied files by executing command cd <your directory>.
  9. Untar the license files by executing command tar xvf Cisco_CNC_license_update.tar
  10. Install the license by executing command ./Cisco_CNC_license_update.sh

At this point, the license installation should execute. I hope this helps!

Austin
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(884 Views)

Hello Austin,

Thanks for the great tutorial!

However, when I was setting up my VM, I found that a shared folder may have some issues with detecting the contents inside and is much more complex to set up.

I found a much simpler alternative which is to connect an Internet connection into the PC Ethernet port which has a bridged connection with the VM. Afterwards, you can download the CNC License file from the open group and extract the tar file contents into the "Home" directory, then run the update through the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and update by typing ''sh Cisco_CNC_license_update.sh''.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Devin Toh

Message 7 of 13
(866 Views)

Hi yea_likethecity

While trying to access the root in VirtualMachine I am getting the authentication failure with the password lab. Are you sure that its the right password to access the root with su command ?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(236 Views)

Hi yea_likethecity

After installing the new license successfully, we still get an error while computing the schedule with CNC. The error code we get is 249 stating that the CNC could not find the "/opt/tttech/TTEPlan5/license/CiscoSystems_Plan_5_0_permanent.lic". However, I could see this file under the home directory of the ubuntu VM.

Regards

Muhammad

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(230 Views)

Hi Muhammed,

Were you able to run the script successfully? If so, it should have installed the license at the indicated location (/opt/tttech/TTEPlan5/license/CiscoSystems_Plan_5_0_permanent.lic). The license file shouldn't be in your home directory, only your license update tar file. If there is no .lic file at the indicated location, the script may not have run successfully.

Regarding the instructions I posted earlier and permissions problems, you don't need to log-in as root. You can just execute the command "sudo cp /media/sf_Downloads/Cisco_CNC_license_update.tar /home" to copy the license file to your home directory, where you can then untar it and run the setup script. The lab/lab account has administrator permissions so you shouldn't ever need to log in to the root accout.

If you do want root access, you'll need to set the password for the account to enable it. I'm not sure how this didn't come up when I wrote the instructions, but I'll make an addition to the post to make this clear. You can set the password for the root account by executing the command "sudo passwd root". This will prompt you for a new password, where you can set your root password. Once the password is set, you can log-in as a root user.

Austin
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(212 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.