LabVIEW Time Sensitive Networking (TSN)

Highlighted

NI MAX Time Settings for CRIO 9047 not displayed

I can not see the TSN or PTP configuration settings in NI MAX - Time Settings tab, for the CRIO-9047 or any attached CDAQs, Only the basic Time and Date settings are shown.  I have Silverlight 5.1 installed.  Do I need any specific packages installed on the RIO or the Win 10 PC to get them to show up?

Side note, not a TSN issue, but the Modules in the CDAQ Chassis are dropping out, and I have to reset the CDAQ to get them show up again.

Any ideas? - Greg

Win 10 - LabVIEW 2018 SP1 32 Bit

Compact RIO 19

Windows 10 LabVIEW 2018 SP1 / 2018
Test Systems Project Engineer - CLD
Digalog Systems Inc.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(142 Views)
5 REPLIES 5

Re: NI MAX Time Settings for CRIO 9047 not displayed

Hi Ghost_coder,

The cRIO-9047 is a Linux RT target, so time synchronization configuration does not happen in NI MAX. Configuration happens in NI MAX for targets with VxWorks and Phar Lap operating systems. You need to use the NI-Sync API to configure time references on the target. You can find examples of how to use the API in the LabVIEW example finder. I've found the most helpful examples for getting started are:

• Enable and Disable Time References.vi
  • Get Time References.vi
  • Monitor and Configure Time References.vi
  • Monitor Synchronization.vi

These can all be found in the example finder, in the task tree, at Hardware Input and Output >> Timing and Synchronization >> Time-Based.

Austin
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(134 Views)

In reference to Greg's second comment, I too have cDAQ chassis' attached to cRIO's (9189 attached to 9047) and the modules do not show up on a cRIO start. I have to run a self test on the cDAQ in order for them to show up. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(125 Views)

I should have addressed the second comment as well. If the cDAQ's host, in this case the cRIO, is restarted, the cDAQ may need to be self-tested for the modules to become available.This is due to the way the cDAQ interacts with the host.

Austin
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(123 Views)

I have other cRIO-cDAQ pairs that work fine on cRIO startup. Is it really indeterminate when this issue will happen? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(114 Views)

Timing on the network is a component, so different hardware configurations may perform differently. The DAQmx driver version is also a component. Best practices is to self-test on application startup so ensure this doesn't disrupt application initialization, but the DAQmx 19.1 driver has improvements which should mitigate the issue significantly.

Austin
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(74 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.