From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plug-Ins

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Properties.llb (for labels)

Author: Thoric (LV Champion)

A new shortcut menu plug-in to quickly change free label font properties.

Right click the free label(s) a new sub-menu appears called Text with some basic style options:

Untitled.png

If a style is checked, that means the style is already set. It will be checked if ANY of the selected labels use that style.

It' has some known issues:

• Only works on selections that are true Label refnums. So although it works on free labels, captions, string control contained text, graph axes labels and legends, but it is not working yet on numeric contained text.
  • It works (by sheer accident) with the text selection, which is a good thing I think. But, apparently the selection is remembered by LabVIEW even when nothing is visibly selected. So you can right click a free label that you were editing hours ago within which you'd left some text selected. Even though it doesn't appear selected anymore you find choosing bold only applies to the invisibly selected part. Can be fixed by always applying to the whole text, but it's is kinda nice to be able to work with a selection of text.

Future additions:

• Work with numeric controls
  • Add some font sizes - another sub-menu with 6, 9, 12, 15 etc.
  • Add font name - another sub-menu with some of the more common font names listed.

Attachement is saved in LabVIEW 2015. For install instructions, go here.

Comments
Neil.Pate
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I like this plugin, but one thing was making my brain hurt.

By default the "Text" menu appears at the top when I right-click on a FP control, and my entire LV career the top item for me has been "Visible Items" which I use quite regularly. So I was mistakenly browsing into the "Text" menu when I really wanted "Visible Items". Muscle memory!

I made one small modification to the position of the menu, so it appears after the "Visible Items".

Thanks for the plugin

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

I personally wouldn't find myself using this often.  The Bold, Underline, and Italic can be invoked on selected text using CTRL+B, CTRL+I, and CTRL+U if you have the following INI keys in LabVIEW 2015.

QuickBold="True"

QuickItalic="True"

QuickUnderLine="True"

Changing font size can be dont with CTRL+- and CTRL++.  Most basic fonts can be selected with CTRL+1 through 4, and if that isn't enough the dialog can come with CTLR+0.  I guess if you program LabVIEW with one hand you'll probably prefer this plugin over the CTRL commands.

Neil.Pate
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I mainly use it for justification. Got any shortcuts for that?

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

Nope, but there should be.  I'd vote for CTRL+Left or right.  There's been lots of various discussions about how a helper program (or VI) could monitor for commands like this and invoke things.  I even augmented QuickDrop at one point where I could make a selection, invoke QD then hold left or right and it would left or right align objects.  Similarly one could be done for justification but shoehorning features into QD probably isn't the right way of doing it, and getting native support for shortcuts, or tools (like this one) are probably the better route.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

FYI, the QuickBold INI token enables bold, italic, and underline. There are no QuickItalic and QuickUnderLine INI tokens.

Contributors