LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plug-Ins

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change To Different LabVIEW Class.llb

Author: AristosQueue (NI)

Right click on a LabVIEW class control, indicator, constant or FPTerminal (including array terminal). Adds a menu item for "Change LabVIEW Class..." which brings up a dialog to allow you to select a different class to replace the current one. The replace does NOT ever presserve data -- if you change from a child class to a parent class, the new control/constant will have the default and operate values of the parent class.

Untitled.png

Attachement is saved in LabVIEW 2015. For install instructions, go here.

Comments
jlokanis
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

This feature is interesting but I do not recommend it for large projects.  It takes a very long time to populate the list of classes.  And, unlike QD, it does not cache this data for subsequent uses.

A better solution when needing to change a class is to select it and open QD, then type a part of the new class name until it appears in the QD window.  Select it and use CTRL P to replace the old class.  The only issue I have seen with this method is if you are showing the class name lable on your BD, it only updates it to match the new class ~75% of the time.  (But I have another QD plugin to fix that! )

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
vishots.com
on

I agree that it takes a while to populate. But perhaps because it's trying to be too generic. I mean, most of the time I need to change to parent or pick a child. If it had those 2 options it would cover all of my use-cases and maybe be faster since you'd have a limited scope.

I think "in general" the more focused a plugin is, the more usefull it is. I mean, it's way faster to just drag a class onto the diagram from the project and cut-past over the old one. However, if LabVIEW knew what the parent or child was without me having to figure it out, well, that's useful.

jlokanis
Active Participant
on

Agreed.  When I change a class, it is 99% of the time changing to a sibling of the same parent.

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
ASTDan
Active Participant
on

Where is the File to download?  I can't find it.

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

ASTDan: Looks like all of the attachments have vanished in this forum. I've asked web team to investigate.

ASTDan
Active Participant
on

If you go to the Edit button I was able to Download it.  

Thanks for developing this.  I have to change to a different class all the time

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

@ASTDan (and everyone else): The attachments are back now! 🙂

Contributors