LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
nathand

Set System Image should deploy files from the image that are in the blacklist and don't exist on the target

The Set System Image VI (and by extension, the Replication and Deployment Tool) have a deployment blacklist. Currently, files on that list are never deployed. It would be helpful if instead, those files, if they exist in the image, were deployed only if they do not already exist on the target. That would make it easier to create a single image that could be used for both an upgrade, where you do not want to overwrite existing configuration files, and for initial setup, where you want to install a default configuration file.

Did I misunderstand something about the way the deployment blacklist works? The documentation says "Files on the blacklist will not be copied from the image to the target" which makes me wonder why you would ever want to include those files in the image at all.

5 Comments
James@Work

This is already very easily managed.

Files that are blacklisted can be created by the RT application on its first run.

During initialization the File Read VIs should create missing files with default values.

Just how I've handled it for many years...

Regards,

James

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
nathand
Proven Zealot

The issue is that I would like to deploy an image while leaving certain files on the target untouched (system-specific calibrations, for example). I don't currently see a way to do that.

James@Work

Yes, I understand and do exactly that on many systems.

Calibrations and other system specific files you don't want to overwrite when updating the image are on the deploy blacklist. 

When an image is deployed to a 'new' system, these files can be automatically created during the system initialization.  Modify your configuration file read VIs to recognize when a file is missing and create it using your default values.  Then, these files can be updated when calibrations are run or system specific configuration values are entered.  Any restart after the initial startup will have the files with the correct values.  And, when deploying a new image later, these files are left untouched.

Isn't that the functionality you desire?

Regards,

James

LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
nathand
Proven Zealot

I understand what you're saying, but often the default values that were compiled into the code aren't the values we'd like to use by the time we set up a new system. We're running a bunch of nearly-identical systems in a lab, where we're tuning things like PID gains. At the time I build the application, I don't yet know what the optimal PID gains are. I'd like to avoid having to re-enter all the settings just after putting an image on a brand-new system, but also be able to use the same image for upgrading a system in the field without worrying that the image will wipe out the existing settings there (even if one or two of them will need to be adjusted manually by the field service person after the update).

James@Work

OK, sorry I couldn't assist.

I am firmly against modifying any LabVIEW tool such that it breaks existing processes.

Sorry, No KUDOS from me.

Regards,

James

LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020