LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsussman

Provide a Virtual Machine (VM) in which to run LV RT systems on

When developing RT code (especially system upgrades) it would be truly helpful to have a virtual machine (VMware, MS Virtual PC, Sun Virtual box, etc....) that would allow us to run the actual VxWorks OS and LVRT in it's native environment, within the Windows OS. This would allow the code to run on the actual RTOS (I realize that determinism would be scacrificed) and provide the ability to actually test the functionality of the code in the actual environment to ensure that it runs as it should. It would also preclude the need to have a bunch of RT controllers sitting on the shelf in the event that you might need them.

There is and emulator for PDA module, why not for RT.

73 Comments
fmorandat

That's true, the 8135 maybe is not supported anymore today in fact ^^'. The PXI device in the TargetIDArches.csv is ok I guess. Quite a useful file.

André, how do you do to disable the hardware matching ?

About the property, maybe NXG checks the FPGA part.

andre.buurman@carya
Active Participant

It's the orange symbol in design view that is above the looking glass. It's a menu.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
fmorandat

Got it. I missed that menu.

I needed also to refresh the hostname in the identity section of the design part to run code.

I confirm, same as you with the 9053.

Thanks 🙂

fmorandat

In fact, only by updating the hostname, all the model we tried, including the 9040, work fine, matching or not.

You can even revert to the initial 903X model 😄

We have the choice 😁

andre.buurman@carya
Active Participant

What host name rules do you use to get matching to work?

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
nwxan90

Latest update.

I grabbed a real 9040 cRIO and it turns out that the embedded UI is not supported on it either so it leads me to believe that at the moment NXG does not support the embedded UI. It throws the same error as the VM does. 

For reference here is the grubenv for the legitimate 9040 cRIO. 

DeviceCode=0x78E3
serial#=
TargetClass=cRIO
DeviceDesc=cRIO-9040
BootFirmwareConsoleOutEnable=1
BIOSBootMode=efi
NITarget=true
primaryethaddr=
consoleoutenable=True
safemodeenabled=False
comment=
hostname=NI-cRIO-9040

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor

CLA CPI

fmorandat

Thanks a lot nwxan90 ! We know we don't need to try it.

We'll have to wait NXG 6.0. 🙄

André, I wanted to be sure yesterday, so I retry with a fresh 903X VM, made it 9040, then I only refreshed its hostname in the Design component, getting this dialog :

RefreshHostname.png

And it was ok to have source/build code running.

(my install is "true" Win10 + Virtual box)

A warning : if you come back as a 903X (0x7735), the VM is seen as a standard computer, not a RT target.

If someone have a doubt, you can try this Linux sample code to be sure :

LinuxTestCode.png

About RT : the Timed Loop runs, but it does not mean a lot.

nwxan90, if you have a 9040, can I ask you to take a look at some files ? But I don't wanna bother you.

nwxan90

I should be able to grab files form the 9040. Ill just sent you a PM to save cluttering this thread. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor

CLA CPI

Dan_Mondrik
Active Participant

For NXG 5, the supported cRIO controllers include the 904x/905x series. Note that the 903x (that some of you have tried, finding problems) are not supported. The official list is at https://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview-rt-module/latest/supported-hardware/compactrio-controlle...

Similarly, the supported PXI RT controllers do not include the 8135, even though that controller is supported for Windows development. The official list is at https://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview-rt-module/latest/supported-hardware/supported-pxi/ and as of this writing erroneously includes the PXIe-8135 RT. We will fix that shortly.

The ability to drop a PXIe-8135 RT from the design palette is also unintended. We are removing that from the next version. Sorry for the confusion this has caused.

djac91

Hello,

I am also attempting to set up a NI-Linux RT virtual machine using Oracle Virtual Box.

I followed the steps provided by the user @nwxan90. But after booting up , I cannot click the 'y' key as my keyboard inputs are not accepted. I am stuck at the below screen.

Linux RT.png

How can i solve this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting For the inner calling 🙂