From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greil

Offline Distribution for Real-Time Application

During LabVIEW Development was a PXI Real-Time System connected (LAN) next to my Laptop and process Build/Deployment was no problem.

Now the RT has been shipped far away to customer site and i have no longer access to that network.

So I need an other way to distribute and

here is my IDEA #1:  (below is another IDEA #2)

Offline RT-Distribution LabVIEW Idea Exchange.GIF

FACT : Most of all customers have no knowledge about "How to find the Real-Time System and update the Application on it".

So the new item will built an "Offline Installer.exe" and will run on any customer PC to a full automated update job automatically.

Features:

- create a detailed installation report which can be stored and send back to the developer.

- In case of the Real-Time System isn't connected to any LAN, the customer could use the "Offline Installer.exe" to prepare an USB-Stick which has to be plugged into the Real-Time System. Then a reboot will launch the full automated application update process. (the "RT LEDs" will give feedback when the process is finished)    

I tried also another way but without success:

Step 1: Add a ZIP File into the Project Explorer : "My Zip File"

Offline RT-Distribution 1.GIF

Step 2 : Configure the "My Zip File" => Add "My Real-Time Application" 

Offline RT-Distribution 2 zip.GIF

Step 3 : Build "My Zip File"...but the Result was bad :

Offline RT-Distribution 2 Build My Zip File.GIF

But anyway, if the would be successful there are a lot of more steps needed:

- sending the ZIP to the customer

- unpack ZIP

- find Real-Time System at customers network

- a FTP tool is needed to update the system.

- There is no way to stop the running Application (from a PC without NI-Software)

Conclusion:

The update with "ZIP" is far away from a comfortable solution. 

IDEA #2

If the Real-Time System has a running webserver (the thing which is using Silverlight),

then the application could be updated by using a webbrowser.

So, first we have to update the webserver on the Real-Time System (as difficult as updating the application)

Spoiler
(But who the f..k has Silverlight installed  )

11 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: New