LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Real-Time Idea?

1. Does your idea apply to LabVIEW in general? Get the best feedback by posting it on the original LabVIEW Idea Exchange.
  2. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  3. If your idea has not been submitted click New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  4. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  5. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  6. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW Real-Time!
Top Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swenp

Native XML support on Real-Time targets

Wouldn't it be nice to have a native LabVIEW XML parser available on real-time targets? Storing your config data in XML rather than in Config-ini files is more flexible, techniques like XMLRPC would be easier to implement etc.
Yes I  know about the third party EasyXML library, but I don't want to spend extra money as we are already paying for LabVIEW 😉

4 Comments
jkurtw
NI Employee (retired)

Will this work for you?

Reference Library for Converting Between LabVIEW and XML Data (GXML) 

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/6330 

swenp
Thanks for the link, but this implementation eleminates a big benefit of XML: The flexibility. Using the GXML library I will be bound to the type of cluster the data was saved when trying to read it. Otherwise the Variant to Data will fail if I added or edited some cluster elements in the time between saving and loading the data. Thats why I think a real XML parser would be great on RT.
MattWhitlock

I agree that it would be pretty useful. I've done a decent amount of XML parsing on cRIO, but the CPU/Memory manager is pretty slow when parsing a ton of text. On PXI though, a native and flexible (real) XML parser seems like a no-brainer.

S.Minami
NI Employee (retired)

I agree completely.

In Japan, we created automatic update application under RTOS on cRIO.

Then, we couldn't use a native LabVIEW XML parser.

So, we selected LabVIEW schema.

In the near future, we need the native LabVIEW XML parser on Real-Time Target.

Because we want to connect between Web API and cRIO.

And, we can get the correct Japanese character because LabVIEW XML parser supports Encoding: "UTF-8".