LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Real-Time Idea?

1. Does your idea apply to LabVIEW in general? Get the best feedback by posting it on the original LabVIEW Idea Exchange.
  2. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  3. If your idea has not been submitted click New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  4. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  5. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  6. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW Real-Time!
Top Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwisti

Installing NI-RIO for Use with Multiple Versions of LabVIEW

Different versions of NI-RIO only support certain versions of Labview, see link below.  You can not have Labview 8.5.1 Real-Time & 2011 Real-Time co-exist on the same PC because NI-RIO 4.0 only supports up to 8.6.1.  Wouldn't it be nice if you could install multiple version of NI-RIO just like you can have multiple version of Labview?

NI-RIO and LabVIEW Version Compatibility

3 Comments
TutuAjayi
NI Employee

The NI-RIO driver doesn't install side-by-side, but it does support multiple version of LabVIEW.
From the link you provided..

"As a general rule-of-thumb, a given version of NI-RIO supports the version of LabVIEW that it was released with, as well as the three previous service pack versions for a total of four supported versions."

From your example, the newest NI-RIO version that supports 8.5.1 and 2011 SP1 is 3.6.1. You wil however not be able to leverage any new feature introduced to in NI-RIO post 3.6.1

dwisti

If you look at the link I posted the chart shows that 2011 only supports NI-RIO 4.0.  And 8.5.1 is not supported in NI-RIO 4.0.  Since I have to support older installations of existing Real-Time systems in 8.5.1, I'm forced to have 2 installs of Labview (on different machines or XP mode) if I want to use 2011 & 8.5.1.

ErnieH
Active Participant

Support for older systems is becoming a bigger issue for us when we decide to upgrade our systems. If the updates create compatibility problems with our existing systems, why upgrade? I find it odd that we would have this problem on NI's own equipment. I have 3rd party boards that the driver will work for LabVIEW 6 through LabVIEW 2011 with no issues. This seems to be getting worse every year.