From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mads

Enable Secure Shell Server by default

Could we have SSL on by default in the standard software sets for RT targets? It is not like there is much security in the default setup anyway, so having SSL active as well as the web interface with default passwords is just more practical (if that is the rationale for not having it on...(?)).

Background:
Whenever I have loaded a default software package onto an RT target using NI MAX, I run into this little snag; I try to log onto it using SFTP or PuttY - only to rediscover that this is disabled. So then I have to go to the web interface or NI MAX to enable it. Most of the time we use RAD to replicate PACs anyway, but this is still another little thing we have to remember every time when dealing with the very first setup.

1 Comment
Dan_Mondrik
Active Participant

In our 2019 release for PXI Linux RT we introduced a new concept called a "base system image" (which we sometimes shorten to either 'base image' or 'system image') that installs a minimal set of software that provides the OS and package management tools including opkg and salt. This allows you to then use either MAX or SystemLink to install the desired additional software to the target. These "base system images" do have the option to "Enable Secure Shell Server (sshd)" enabled by default (and in fact it's been removed from the UI in MAX). You'll notice us using this approach more in the future.