LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Miha_Vitorovic

Add ni-rt.ini setting for thread stack space

I have been recently tasked with porting a Windows DLL to Phar Lap. So, code is not my own, there's a lot of it, and the DLL is crashing with stack overflows. Recursion is not a problem here, so it's obvously a local variable space. The default thread stack size is 128k, which is a bit on the low side. An ini setting that would allow to increase this would be most welcome. Especially if you're not getting errors in your own thread, but in the LabVIEW ones.

1 Comment
ScotSalmon
Active Participant

I don't really like the idea increasing the default stack size for LabVIEW threads (or even encouraging you to do so on by creating the documented ini token you propose), as there are many of these threads created without the user's direct control, and the vast majority of them do not need such a large stack.  To be honest the vast majority of them don't even approach 128k in normal usage.

There are a couple of alternate solutions I would prefer over such a token.

Since you're writing your own DLL, you can use the Windows API's to explicitly create a thread, and stack size is a parameter to those APIs.  Then, send a message from the LV thread to your own thread to do the stack-hungry operation.  See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kdzttdcb%28v=vs.80%29.aspx etc.

Also, 128k is fairly generous even for stack-hungry applications.  If you have stack variables using up 10's or 100's of kB of stack, you may be better off refactoring those large buffers into the heap, rather than exposing yourself to this sort of issue again in the future.