From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Project Providers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary/Secondary provider to create class in project

I'm currently working on a provider to allow me to script the creation of "Settings Node" classes for my larger application - these are relatively simple and I'm optimistically hoping most of the work can be done with a copied template and the VI in Actor Framework Message Maker that stores a set of controls in class private data.

I'd assumed from my reading of the documentation that because I was adding new items to my project, I needed a primary provider. However, I just noticed that the AF MM is not a primary provider (despite adding classes to the project) and neither are AddActor or MessageMaker, which both also add files.

This functionality (adding to project) is done during the Item_OnCommand VI, and it's easy enough for me to move my code from CreateNewWizard_Invoke to Item_OnCommand and change the provider type. However, having a new GUID would be nice to allow a secondary provider to bind to the alias.

My concern is this - the item that is added (by a primary provider with unique GUID) is not a class, it is a "Settings Node", or whatever I call it. Although I could add the class, then move the new item into the class (to keep them together - at least, I think I can do this...) it isn't exactly what I want.

Can I make a transparent 'class'-like object which behaves like a class in all the normal ways, but additionally has an alias for a secondary provider (and a new icon - ooh)

Failing that, should I hide the class and interact with it only through the new item? If I do this, I imagine it will be harder to prevent errors with moving files, or making changes to filesystem etc - perhaps the Ref type can help me here, but it sounds like that only helps with references internal to the project - maybe I misunderstood this.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(2,852 Views)