From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Project Providers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable/disable menu item

Hi,

I would like to ask, how can I selectively enable/disable custom menu items. For example, I added "Tools/example item 1"  and "Tools/example item 2" to LabVIEW tools menu and I want, based on certain conditions disable/enable these items - based on where they are called from (whether from init screen, from  VI or from project). I also want to conditionally disable "example item 2", so that it will disabled until "example item 1" is called and executed. I know this is possible since several LabVIEW toolkits use this. Can someone please advise me on how this is done?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,008 Views)

Are you referring to the right-click menu item? If so, that's pretty straight forward. Typically I would do that in the OnPopupMenu.vi method. Here's an example of that:

OnPopUp.png

The source code for this provider is available on my GitHub: https://github.com/TomsLabVIEWExtensions/Toggle-Debugging

Hope this helps 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,000 Views)

Sorry, I re-read your message and you specifically asked about the LV Tools menu.

I haven't been able to find a way to do that (yet) as typically you initialize your tools menu in the init.vi method (which is only run once).

I will edit this reply if I come across anything.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,999 Views)

Thank you for your reply McQuillan,

yes, I am looking for the disabling of tools menu items. What I want to do looks like this example from Tools/Advanced menu with items "Export Strings..." and "Import Strings...":

Rashek_1-1575278256684.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,997 Views)

Hi Rashek,

I don't think this is possible.

Unfortunately  "Export Strings..." and "Import Strings..." is not implemented as a provider.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,993 Views)

Yeah, I would tend to agree with Hypiz. I'm normally pretty good at finding the source code for the native LV plugins to use as examples - I was able to find Mass Compile. But I couldn't find Export Strings anywhere in program files (I did a global "everything" search on my PC, then manually looked in the <labview>\project directory and the providers directory).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,989 Views)

It should be possible, for example this Add-on has it.

Rashek_0-1575283258211.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,983 Views)

Wow, you're right.

The magic is hidden in GlobalItemInterfaceVI / Global_OnUpdateCommand.vi which is called item by item and where you can modify each of them.

Is it enough like this or shell I be more specific?

Message 8 of 8
(4,969 Views)