LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andi_S

wire cleanup by double-click

Idea:

Double-click to a wire + holding <ctrl> or <alt> will call the wire-cleanup tool for this particular line => much faster than via context menu

cleanup

10 Comments
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

If you're already going to be on the keyboard, just hit ctrl+u after selecting the wire.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Andi_S

Yes, you're right but ...

... selecting (klicking) and then selecting ctrl+u is much slower than holding a key + double klick

... I don't know about the size of your hands but holding the mouse in my right it's nearly impossible for me to select ctrl+u with my left one. Permanent switching between mouse and keyboards takes even longer

Manzolli
Active Participant

Agree with Andi_S, <Ctrl> + U is not a easy (fast) one hand action. I like to keep my right hand on the mouse as much as possible. Left hand is always close to the left <Shift>, <Ctrl>, <Windows> and <Alt> keys. Kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Don't forget -- right+click the wire and "Clean Up Wire" is the very first option in the list. That's pretty fast to hit and doesn't involve the keyboard at all. It is two single clicks instead of a double click, but that's pretty close.

Never mind... you said "context menu"... I was thinking you meant the drop down menus (which you can also do... Edit >> Clean Up Selection). So you already think that the right-click is too slow.

You can edit your keyboard shortcuts (Tools >> Options >> Menu Shortcuts). If you have a shortcut under the right hand that you like better, swap it in. Personally, the only shortcut under the right hand that I don't already use frequently is ctrl+D. Ctrl+Y isn't under the right hand, but it is one key closer to the right-side control key. Other than that, I use every single keyboard shortcut that is closer than the existing ctrl+U on a regular (at least hourly) basis, and most of the ctrl+shift+___ combos also.

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

>> selecting ctrl+u is much slower

1. How often do you do this?
  2. How much faster is "holding a key + double klick"?
  3. I'd guess that it's less than one second faster, and that you do it fewer than 50 times/day.  This idea becomes feasible if NI can implement it in an hour or so.
  4. 😄

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

crossrulz
Knight of NI

This is one of those "NI, make me faster".  But my issue is that it is in nowhere close to the priority of where NI should be concentrating for saving me time.  The righ-click, cleanup wire happens so quickly for me that I don't even notice it.  So it might save me 1/2 a second per time.  Might add up to a few seconds in the day.  I spend way more time waiting for TestStand to read my project.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Andi_S

Yes but NI also integrated the "tool-auto-selection" even that using the tab-key for manual selection was is also very fast. I still know people who disable the automatic tool selection and prefere using the tab-key for manual selection. With your argumentation tool-auto-selection would have never been developed and integrated.

Another aspect is the (at least in my opinion) too long, too confusing context menue. Creating such a quick-wire-cleanup function would make the menue entry obsolete.

So yes: From pure point of time saving the function might help not that much ... but it would feel much smoother in daily work 🙂

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

right-click the wire ... and "Clean Up Wire". How do you want to do anything faster ????

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

What about blowing on the screen as a shortcut (while selecting the wire), while we wait for those mind reading gizmos to be ready?

Manzolli
Active Participant

@crossrulz: For only one wire, I agree. For 3 or more wires, I often select part of the code, do a "Cleanup Up Diagram" instead of the "right clicks" and select "Clean Up Wire" for each. Sometimes I stop to figure out which processes is better, wasting time, loosing focus on the main subject. Keeping a key, like <Ctrl>, pressed and double clicking couple wires is much faster.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil