From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crandiba

"Tab" keyboard shortcut: Swap between "Control", "Indicator" or "Constant"

Currently, the "Tab" key is not individually mapped to an action for Block Diagram interactions; my suggestion is to use it to swap between "control", "indicator" and "constant", in the same way we already do with the options of the right-click menu "Change to Control/Indicator/Constant".

As an example, having selected a control on the BD, by just pressing "Tab" we would transform it into an indicator, a second press to a constant, and a third one would bring it back into being a control.

I understand this is a simple thing, but personally, I feel this ends up being one of the most repeated actions we end up taking as developers and I believe it would be intuitive to map it to a familiar key to many of us - tab.

Thanks all,

Cris

4 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Turn off the Autotool and you will see how Tab is used on the block diagram.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I like this idea. We cannot use the Tab key because of all the users who turn off autotool, but there's lots of keys on the keyboard. I think this is worth exploring.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Shift+Tab is still free. But only when auto tool is on. If auto tool is off, it will be turned on as a bonus Smiley Very Happy.

thols
Active Participant

Or if a quick-drop shortcut could be set to be invoked by a key-press only, and not require ctrl+space -> ctrl+key.

Certified LabVIEW Architect