LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiebe@CARYA

"Static" clone reference

This must be duplicate, but can't find it anywhere...

What I'm missing is a Static VI Reference, that instantiates a clone:

Static Clone Reference.png  

It might needs a new name, since it's not a static reference. But "Clone Reference" is ambiguous (a reference to a clone). Maybe "Clone Allocator"?

Obviously, making it a strict type is still possible:

Static Clone Reference (strict).png

4 Comments
GJMABerends

I would like to see it going even a step further. Like we have a static VI reference and a strictly typed VI reference as you propose only that the strictly typed VI reference inherits all settings from the VI as is set in the properties of the VI not just the reentrant behavior.

nanocyte
Active Participant

It's similar to this idea:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Allow-Asynchronous-Call-By-Reference-with-Strict-Stat...

To get one step closer, with malleable VIs, you can merge the property node and open into one VI. I have this VIM for opening for async

prepare for async.png

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

This just got better 👍.

To quote LabVIEW 2024 Q1 Features and Changes - NI:

New and Changed Objects

• The Open VI Reference function includes the following change:

The vi path input parameter now accepts an existing VI reference in addition to the string and path data types accepted in previous versions. This new option enables workflows such as:

• Getting a strict reference from a non-strict reference
    • Creating another reentrant instance of a reentrant VI

And it does work:

wiebeCARYA_0-1709565309763.png

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Note that as of LabVIEW 2024 Q1, you also need to wire up the type specifier on the Open VI Reference if you need a strict typed VI reference.  For a little more detail: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Public-Beta-Program-in/New-Open-VI-Reference-Functionality/m-p/4351... 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5