LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul_cardinale

"Is Path and Not Empty.vi" Should be Malleable

If you change the comparison function "Is Path and Not Empty.vi" to a malleable VI, then it will be able to accept arrays of paths.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Changing the file extension would break existing callers, but I can see deprecating this VI and putting the VIM in the palettes. I'll add my kudos to the idea.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Why doesn't the function adapt to arrays and clusters (arrays of clusters, clusters with arrays, recursively) of paths? A lot of other functions do that.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Weibe: Path API is full of ancient functions never revisited. And in most cases, NXG is just trying to reach parity with 20xx, so they haven't extended most of them (but they did extend a few).

VIMs are giving us a much easier way to extend that sort of polymorphism than redoing fundamental gencode. In the majority of cases, the G code generates nearly the same assembly instructions that we would do coding the assembly by hand.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

At this time (with the .vim tooling available) it would be hard to (efficiently) make the .vim support clusters (and arrays and arrays of clusters and clusters of arrays though). Limited recursion would help too.

I hoped that simply wrapping a function in the 'magic polymorphic template' would turn on this ability. Guess it doesn't work like that.