LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick insert VI into wire

Sometimes I want to insert a unconnected Sub VI on my panel into a some wire. I always end up deleting and reconnecting the wires to insert my Sub VI.

I miss a solution to quick insert a VI into a wire without deleting and reconnecting the wires.

example.jpg

I know we already have the option to use the QuickDrop with ctrl+I, but I miss a solution to insert a VI (that already exists on my panel) into a existing wire.

What about clicking on the wire and draging the Sub VI while pressing crtl+i?

6 Comments
Knight of NI

Well, the first problem is that Ctrl+I is already used to display the VI properties.  Secondly, I think I prefer this idea.

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
Knight of NI

This is nearly a duplicate of a better idea.

The reason I prefer the other idea is because I would not want the subvi to be wired in the wrong place because I moved it over the wires, such as would likely happen often in a crowded block diagram.

Good idea nonetheless.  Have a look at the link provided by crossrulz.

This is not a duplicate idea at all. This would be far smoother for what it does (it would do in one keystroke what even with the other idea would take roughly 2 mouse drags on average), but it covers less cases than the idea it is a 'duplicate' of (it only covers cases where a wire overlaps input and/or output terminals).

I would make a tweak - change ctrl-I to just keystroke I. You're already dragging, so there's no need to have a control modifier key.

Proven Zealot

LukeASomers: It is a duplicate. Any idea that is posted is both a "do this specific thing" and a general cry for "I need help in this area." This is another way of accomplishing the same goal: inserting a node on a wire. It may be worthy of putting comments about this alternate mechanism into that other idea's discussion, but separating it into a separate idea just means duplicating the debate about what is the right way to do insert.

It's a different solution to a similar but not identical problem.