LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clottaz

prompt User for nput with default input value

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

When use this box function, it's not possible to link the default input for value.

it should nice to have a link to wire the default value. If not linked, no default value.

Untitled.jpg

9 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

A subVI terminal cannot be input and output at the same time, so that would require significant changes.

(I typically don't use express VIs, and this functionality is probably implemented more easily by writing your own dialog.)

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This is a good idea, though (for reasons Altenbach cited) it would likely be implemented like this:

Untitled.png

Without this modification, it is hard for me to see how useful this dialog is -- would make a reasonably good solution for making an Options dialog if you could supply a current value!

As an easy workaround ... there's an easy fix!!! Build the dialog you want. Then right click on it and choose "Open Front Panel" and click "Convert" when asked.  In the panel that appears, you'll see the controls on the front panel that are the default values of your inputs. Simply connect those inputs to the connector pane of the subVI, and now you have your default value inputs. (Also delete the "Reinit All" node on the block diagram.)

clottaz

Thank you for this solution.

clottaz

I'm trying to use this solution without success. Could you explain in more detail what you do in block diagram after convert

Thanks

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Untitled.png

clottaz

Great, it works now. I was ofrget to remove the Reinit All node

Thanks

altenbach
Knight of NI

I think you should ask technical questions over in the LabVIEW forum. The ideas exchange is not well suited for this, for example we cannot attach code to replies.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Glad to be of help. Thanks for the idea.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.