LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JacobM123

probe display

The probe display in labview is currently really small and there is no way to resize it.

Resizing the window results in a lot of unused grey space and the actual value being displayed can easily be truncated or just difficult to view properly.

The ability to resize portions of a development envirnoment has been around fora very long time, why does lab view not have such a basic feature?

21 Comments
JÞB
Knight of NI

Custom probes!!!! And then Right-Click the probe in the probe watch window "Open window" A floating probe will pop-up using the same FP size as your custom probe control front panel.

The custom probes are still not resizable by default yet, you can set the vi properties of your custom probe to allow the user to resize the floating window. Select "scale objects with pane" to achieve a resizable probe in both the probe watch window and in the floating probe windows.

Does this address your desires or did I miss something?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
JacobM123

So I need to create more VIs to do something simple like see the data in the program?

Most other development environments allow you to see the data in the program during debug time.

Have I missed the point? Am I the only one who wants to use the probe display for more than a few digits of data?

Creating custom probes just gives me a lot more work to do in terms of managing code.

Sure the concept is simple enough but when we start talking about version control, sharing code and unit test the job seems to get much more complicated with custom probes. I should be developing the application, not developing the development environment

It would be nice if lab view had some really good debug tools and a probe display which scaled it's self to the visible area would be a great start.

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

They really should redo the standard probes to all be reszable.  One can do it oneself, but that is a lot of effort.  Alternately, we could assemble a package of open-source custom probes that could be installed with VIPM.  That doesn't help new people that much though.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

There is an answer somewhere by AQ to a request for more power to the people... sorry, for the probes, which amounts to "we have to put a stop to the amount of features we develop for probes, therefore we introduced the custom probes". So as much as I am with you on this one, I would recommend to be either much more vindicative or stop expecting LabVIEW to deliver as many features as other languages with much more development resources poured into... Sad reality, but reality nonetheless. 

JacobM123

I was under the impression that lab view was 8 times more expensive than other development envirnoments because we were getting top quality software development.

For a comparison visual studio is only £500 and you get a lot more for your money than the £4000 version of labview.

I am looking at this from a uses point of view, it would be up to NI to decide if it is cost effective to implement.

I reallly don't see why it would be difficult to produce a more usable display which scales to the size of the window, surely its just a change to some properties in the framework they use to build labview. 

JÞB
Knight of NI

I look at it this way.  If NI spent tons of time developing a library of "probes for all occasions" I would never know which one to select.  And in the odd cases I would still want slightly different customizations anyway.  My client's customers never see the probes.  They are for me to solve my problems during integration  (So I don't use em much anyhow Smiley Very Happy)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

BTW, this is a duplicate of this recent one (like in: from last week)... and guess who commented?

The infamous comment from the infamous AQ is in this thread. I think it is very reasonable, BTW...

And as far as what you should expect for the price you pay (disclaimer: I am at a Uiversity, so the cost the Departmental license we are using is irrelevant to me but from what I know it is a good deal), maybe checking this page will help reframe your expectations: you will notice that there is no mention of game development, fancy gimmicks and powerful SQL database management or whatever, but instead the focus is on "unprecedented hardware integration"...

My 2 cts.

PS: I gave the suggestion a Kudo, as I think it is a reasonable expectation to have. I actually did have my own suggestion in the past, which did not go anywhere

JacobM123

OK, not once did I ask for game development, SQL access or fancy gimmicks

The recent post from last week regards custom probes, the other linked post is from 2009.

I only asked for a larger default probe display which scales with the probe window. It would be a low cost feature to implement but it would be very well received.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I was being metaphorical.

"Custom Probe" in the first quoted thread is not was AQ referred to as "Custom Probe".

In the first thread, the OP was mentioning the "default" custom probes, which are essentially controls and, as discussed, are unfortunately not resizable (you can open each individually in its own window, but you can't resize the window... How retarded is that?). The illustration was with a Graph Control, but you could just as well have used a basic indicator... which is what you are requesting.

In the second, the discussion was a bit more general and extended to REALLY customized probes, where you define a VI that does something with the data (the probed wire) that you feed it with. In this case, you can obviously chose to set the indicator to rescale when the window is scaled.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

BTW, a reminder to vote for this request, which is somehow related (see my previous post).