LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiebe@CARYA

picture control mask

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

The picture control has been my last resort on several occations. It can be very powerfull.

However it would become much more powerfull if there was a masking option.

When would you need this? Well, for instance when drawing graph data. NI's picture plots all autoscale the scales, because otherwise the lines in the plots need to be clipped. This is really hard to make, and event harder to make efficient for large sets of data. Or draw to a buffer picture, and get a subset of it's image. But that would render the picture control's zoom useless. With a mask, you could mask the plot area, and draw all scaled data. The feature would do the work.

Now the picture control has an opcode for masking (opcode 22, size 8). It's only for a rectangulair mask, but you can test the power of it.

I think this VI should be in the palette. Ideally, masking should be extended with ovals and polylines and mask AND-ing and OR-ing. But even the simple rect mask would be added value.

Mask example.png

Result:

Mask example.jpg

Mask VI:

2 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

K1200LT_rider

I like that masking idea.