LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RENN

make diagram cleanup of terminals

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

1. Now.png

Now. The diagram cleanup tool is not usable if multiple terminals are selected.

2.Later.png

Later. This saves a lot of clicks

Kudos always welcome for helpful posts 🙂
11 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Concidering how little I use the diagram cleanup...still worth having a look at.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
RavensFan
Knight of NI

There are already tools on the toolbar to align and distribute items.  It is two steps instead of one.

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

There's a Quick Drop plugin, too.  Ctrl+space, Ctrl+Shift+A does the same thing without any clicks.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

JÞB
Knight of NI

Or you could try LabVIEW Speak.... I believe the command is "Smashy-Smashy"  Norm will probably drop in to confirm that shortly.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I was waiting for somebody to bring up Smashy-Smashy!

In the RCF it was called smishy smashy.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
RavensFan
Knight of NI

I have a question for you all.  Is the right click framework still being used and plugins developed for it?  I haven't heard it mentioned much in the last year or two.  It seems like the advancements to the Quick Drop have taken over.  I see comments like "there is a QuickDrop plugin" far more frequently now.  I know that the improvements to the QD allow you to do more than ever before, and there is probably overlap between it and the RCF where you can use either one to do certain LabVIEW programming activities.

Are people still using RCF?  Or is everyone now doing all the fancy things using QD?  I love QuickDrop and use it most of the time to drop functions, insert or remove functions, or quickly create controls or constants on a function to be able to play with it for experimentation.  But it seems like a lot of activities, like Create Array of References, which I used quite a bit in the RCF when I needed to, are much more logical as a right click framework option then a a quick drop action.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

The RCF is effectively dead.  It was launched as a Project Provider, and NI changed the way those are handled at startup effectively slamming the backdoor closed.  There are workarounds, but they all add to the hassle and squeezed the life out of it.

It was not a scalable approach anyway, the plug-in architecture lent itself to repeated searches through the selection list which bogged down after a number of plug-ins are used.  It worked well with small selections and a small number of plugins, but added a noticable delay in some real-world applications.  (Of course the incurred delay was still much shorter than doing the work manually).  At any rate, the overall UX was sluggish.  Made you wish for the native functionality though.

[The context sensitivity was vastly superior to QD.  The lack of it with QD has led me to abandon it almost entirely]

Until a front-door method is added to hook into the right-click action (no hot-keys and worrying about did I press Ctrl and then ~ or ~ then Ctrl) it will be a relic of days-gone-by.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Thanks Darin.  I apologize to everyone if this got off topic from the original idea discussion.

The context sensitivity was a great aspect of the RCF.

The one other thing I'm not sure about with QD and trying to get some of the useful RCF plugins working with it is how they are enumerated in QD so that they can be called.  Most of what I had seen, or thing I read, talked about assigned shortcuts to the actions.  The last thing I need to do is try to remember all of the arcane ctrl-shift-alt this letter that letter key combinations.  If they are in the list has a typable name that I can remember, I'll probably be okay.  What was nice about the RCF is that you selected, hit the same shortcut key combination so the right click brings up the list.  The menu shows you the options that apply.  Pick the one I want and click.

A lot of times now I have a hard time remember is it Ctrl-D or Ctrl-Shift-D to get all of the connectors populated with controls and indicators.  Or exactly what combination I have to hit with Ctrl-I to get a single function to insert in on multiple selected wires (ref and error) rather than have two of the same function show up, one on each wire.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

The one other thing I'm not sure about with QD and trying to get some of the useful RCF plugins working with it is how they are enumerated in QD so that they can be called.  Most of what I had seen, or thing I read, talked about assigned shortcuts to the actions

One obvious answer to that is what's suggested in this idea - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Supercharge-Quick-Drop-Turn-QD-keyboard-shortcuts-into...

I have recently implemented part of that idea in my own tool (it shows the plugins in the list with their full name and I can hold down shift when opening QD to set the ring to show only the actions) and it does seem to work reasonably well, although I haven't had enough time to really work with it. Unfortunately, due to {insert reasons here} I can't share it.

Please find the test VI here.

Kudos always welcome for helpful posts 🙂