From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post an idea

When I'm browsing Properties and Methods, the single most important tool is Context Help. However, if I open up a context menu to browse through the Properties or Methods, then hit CTRL+H, Context Help will not pop up! I must clear out the context menu I'm browsing by clicking elsewhere on the diagram, open up Context Help, then re-open the Property/Method list. I'd like CTRL+H to work when those context menus are active.

PropertyNodeBrowsing.png

I would like to be able to create executables that don’t require the runtime engine in LabVIEW. Perhaps a palette of basic functions that can compiled without the runtime engine and an option in the application builder for that. I routinely get executables from programmers that don’t require a runtime installation. I just put it on my desktop and it runs. It would be nice that if I get a request, I could create, build, and send them an exe in an email without worrying about runtime engine versions, transferring large installer files to them, etc.

I would like a key or click combination to highlight the entire wire.  Structure borders are brick walls for the highlight feature, so you must follow the wire to the structure, then double-click the other side of the tunnel in order to continue tracing the data flow.

For example, if I double click to the right of the While Loop, I get this:

2010-02-24_161326.png

What I want to get is this:

2010-02-24_161539.png

What do you all do when you're tracing wires through structures? 

I searched reentrant in this idea exchange and didn't see anything on it so here goes. I would like some sort of indicator showing that a VI is reentrant. Right now, as far as I know, you have to go into the properties and check. It would be nice if there could be either something on the icon, or a small label that would show if the VI was reentrant. Or maybe a slight "halo" around the VI, something to that effect. Any other ideas on how to do this are welcome.

Message Edited by for(imstuck) on 02-24-2010 10:00 AM

I just want to have a layer manager additionally to set a frontpanel element to a specified layer. Using Ctrl+J or Ctrl+K (Ctrl+Shift+J, Ctrl+Shift+K) is only relative to other frontpanel elements.

So if i move a group of elements between other (locked) elements i couldn't define which layer i want to use.

I also would like to have a property for layer level (property node and item in the property dialog).

How often are your main while loops designed to stop together?  There are numerous ways to do this, most of them painful.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to set the stop condition for a loop to stop when another loop stops?

BeautifulPainful

Current                                                   Proposed

It would be nice that if a VI documentation set is created into HTML with PNG as picture format a snippet option would be included.

This option would embed a VI snippet of the top-level BD inside the PNG instead of a static image.

This way it's possible to distribute the code inisde the documentation.

The VI>Properties>Vi documentation could use an overhaul.  Simpler access from the Menu (A ribbon button ?) Templates and Auto insertion of definable fields.  A real text editor launch and well how about being able to resize the edit box so you can see what you typed.   Cut-and Paste from notepad works - but can't we get a bit more elegant than that.  Type bold text - get Bold text Underline, italics.  Justify left center or right.  Heck- this editor for the Idea exchange would look great in my vi documentation pop-up.

One of the quickest (and easiest to forget) methods to improve performance of your VI is to disable debugging.  It requires a trip down the VI properties to get there, however.  I propose adding a button on the BD alongside the other debugging buttons to Disable and Enable Debugging.  

I need to detect when a user has released mouse control of a slider, but that is not possible. I would like to see a new event on controls called "User Control Ended".

For instance, consider a user grabbing a slider knob:

UserControlBeginning.png

The user is able to drag the mouse anywhere, even outside the bounds of the window, and still have control of the slider:

UserControlOffScreen.png

And if the user Mouse Ups outside the window, you can't detect when that event happened. Here, Mouse Up and Mouse Leave are of no use on either the control or the pane. The new "User Control Ended" event needs to be robust like "Drag Ended", detecting events that happen even outside the VI pane.

Conclusion: when a user is interacting with controls using a drag-like operation, I need to know when the user releases the mouse button, whether it be inside the pane, outside, wherever. I have illustrated the example using a slider, but the idea I think should encompass nearly all controls (e.g., a user clicks on a Boolean with "Switch when Released" mechanical action, then drags the mouse outside the Boolean and releases to effectively cancel the Value Change event. Well, I'd still like to catch the "changed mind and released mouse button elsewhere event", a.k.a. the "User Control Ended" event)

EDIT: Attached the VI so you can play with it.

Message Edited by JackDunaway on 02-19-2010 11:24 AM

It would be absolutely helpfull if Graphs would have Annotation font properties like Labels  have on generic control.

New properties for Annotation in annotation List that could allow to change "test" text fonts attribute.

Graph Annotation Font Properties

Graph Results

Microsoft introduced a number of restrictions in Vista that makes it more difficult to save program settings and temporary files.

Applications can no longer write to the Program Files directory, but even worse; the common application data directories, like ProgramData and Users\Default  are by default only accessible for writes by administrators and the first user that did the write. Sessions by other users only have read access. The same goes for registry access; the computer keys can not be written by everyone.

As long as it is OK to not share settings between user's you have one good option left; the user's appdata folder. If you do need to share data though - you need to set the access right of the folders you create in the "common" directories. This can currently be achieved e.g. by using a tool like SetACL, however as it has been made a required action now, it should be included in the installer - AND preferably also as VIs on the file and registry (for registry access) palettes.

LabVIEW 2009 introduced one of the tools required to handle the UAC changes - a VI to get the paths of system folders. It should also have a tool to grant access to some of those paths...

Currently it's only possible to have drag and drop events for files on a path control.

It would be usefull if we could have drag and drop events for files on any control.

This way simpler GUI can be build with a very nice user experience.

Ton

The resizing function calculates the new position of controls based on the previous position.
But the position is an integer. So the calculation is rounded. If you resize several times a VI, rounding errors occur and position control shifts.
This is particularly true for complex controls (like a graph) that have been modified

Solution
Using the resolution of VI and position controls registered at the creation of VI and calculate the coefficient of expansion / displacement from these values.

This LV typedef for the Waveform Graph property Cursor List is missing Line Width and Line Style! This is probably a solution to the mystery behind another post Show Attributes Selections I made earlier today. In order to completely define our Cursor List properly with one Property Node, those two elements must be part of this public typedef.

CursorListProperty.png

Currently, there is no way to get a straight line as a cursor. There is always a break of some sort that shows the (x,y) position of the cursor. I just want a cursor that is a purely vertical line with no visual indication of the y value. The closest I can come is to select the Cursor Style  Attribute that I have shown in the picture, then select "+" as the Point Style Attribute. The current method is illustrated by (A), and what I want is (B).

There are many cases that I only care about the value of the cursor in one dimension, but not the other, so a straight line would be more appropriate than having a break on the value of the other dimension.

SolidLineFreeCursor.png

I use a *lot* of OpenG and Internal reuse VIs (they can make up to ~95% of the number of VIs in a project), and, as they're all considered validated and released, I consider them the same way as anything in vilib.  To that end, I don't want to see them in my project VI Heirachy, so I'd like to see a method to selectively filter all items from user.lib (that's where VIPM puts all my reuse stuff, as well as OpenG stuff).

AddAButtonToFilterReuseComponents.gif

Today, the management of error codes is a little bit complicated. (Error code file to include in executable properties ... )

It could be intersting to add a new entry to a project which could list all custom errors only available to the project.

This file or project property could be associated with the project as a source code !

How many time you'll get an old application ... without all files ... And error code file is a source file. So the error code file should be located near the project ...

Or best inside the project !

The best way to manage the custom errors would be to edit them in the project properties like "conditionnal disable symbols".

Simplifying the error code management will reduce the none managed errors ( The famous 488 error !!!! which i hate ! )

Easy one:

Right click on an item in the project explorer, you have "Find Callers" and "Find SubVIs", select one of these, you get small pop-up window with a list, double click on an item of this list, the item comes to front and the list disappears :smileymad: ... I always get mad at that behaviour!

I'd like an option to OPEN all Callers of the VI, I mean of course all the callers that are part of the project in which your are.

I made a utility VI doing that in LV 8.6, if anyone likes it here's the snippet :

open callers.png

Pretty self explanatory.  

Place an image on the front panel.  

Use the "Get Color" Tool from the tools palette on a color on the image.

The foreground color should ideally be the color you clicked on, however it's always Black with a White Background.

I'd think that getting colors from an image should work like getting colors from anything else on the front panel.  It would be pretty nice to be able to match the FP elements with an image thats on it for better GUI design.