From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post an idea
For the most part coersions can be broken down into two classes: lossy (e.g. 64L to I8) and safe (e.g. U8 to U16). Why is there only one color option for coersion dots?  Could the vi analizer have seperate settings for max allowable safe and unsafe  coersions?

When I want to insert a VI into a wire, I often have to navigate a long way in the palette until I reach the VI I want to use. The same is true when I replace a VI. Both palettes have a special top level with direct access to palettes LabVIEW thinks I might use. But this is often different from what I want. This is why I ask for including the favorite palette menu in this special top level menu. Then I can keep a short navigation to whatever I want to. (Of course it is only one level shorter tahn before, but the entry point to favorites is much more prominent.)

Favorites palette in insert menu.png

64bit has been the dominant architecture for a decade; any computer with more than ~2.5GB of RAM must use it after all. It is inevitable that 32-bit machines will cease to be made - maybe not tomorrow, but let's be realistic. Let's get ahead of the times and convert modules to support 64 bit. Please!

I think the Size to Text right click menu needs some more functionality. I am constantly manually resizing text boxes and free labels to make them fit on my diagram or ensure they stay close to code they refer to.

I propose a change to the right click menu that would let you select the number of lines you want a text box to appear as:

Multi-Line Text.jpg

This is similar JB's Idea to Size Vertically to Text but would be quicker than having to resize in one direction and then select to Size Vertically.

If this were added to Altenbach's idea of a Text Toolbar  Or Guruthilak's Floating Text Formatting Tool I would be extremely happy. Everything in one.

Rob

• I like to make plugin tools that work on items in the project e.g. Libraries/Classes.
  • I like implementing these plugins using the Quick Drop plugin framework.
  • And I normally always work with the LabVIEW Project in my standard workflow. 

If I want to act on a Library, obviously I can just open a Member VI and get a reference to the Parent Library to do this.

However, I feel it would be more natural to Quick Drop on the Library in the Project itself!!

I also feel that it would be faster...

...And isn't that what Quick Drop was invented for?

I don't know if native options would ever exist, I am looking to call my own shortcuts - but there is alot of scope to implement custom plugins.

I have only given one example above.

Cheers

-JG 

Quick Drop on Project Window.png 

Currently I'm still using LV 2009 so I hope the suggestet feature is not already implemented in the current version of LV 😉

I'm missing array functions for rotating and flipping 2D arrays. For images (NI-Vision toolkit) similar functions are available.

Of course I can program each function manually but low level functions would be really nice.

Let's make an example. The 3x3 input array is:

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

transposing (the only function that is already implemented) deliveres:

1 4 7

2 5 8

3 6 9

90° rotation should deliver:

3 6 9

2 5 8

1 4 7

horizontal flipping should deliver:

3 2 1

6 5 4

9 4 7

vertical flipping should deliver:

7 8 9

4 5 6

1 2 3

some time there is need to display your menu item in application like hyperlinks.Smiley Sad

Labview doesnot provide direct solution for this. If you want to customize button control to look like hyperlink, It will add too much code including event structure(please Suggest if anyone have efficient solution) which is not really afforadble if you have multiple hypelinks.Smiley Mad

So I suggest that labview should have a built in hyperlink control which will behave like hypelinks when mouse enter and leaves over control and gives Boolean TRUE when pressed. ....Smiley Very Happy

Currently the Listbox/Multicolumn Listbox can only handle Strings which is not always handy in LabVIEW, we need to convert our numeric values to string, manage the decimals, manage the keyboard to validate the format from user entry...

It would be nice to have an option on the control as we select scalar/array for the selection method, to select string/numeric data content, and then in numeric we could select the representation that we need, I32/U32/Float...

When a cell is editable, it would only accept numeric content, without extra programming, as we would be typing in a Numeric Control.

When the option is chosen, the property node would offer something like an orange "ItemValues" instead of pink "ItemNames". 

It would look nicer than a 2D array of numerics which can't have row/column headers. Every cells have the same properties in an array, it's not possible to format each cell separatly. In a multicolumn listbox we can set a background color on a specific cell and so on...

Wouldn’t it be more convenient if the color pallet in the icon editor included the default colors of the data types (the pink for strings, the orange for DBL, the green for Boolean, etc.)?

Add a printer selection dialog (option) for the print VI functionality (yes I know there are ActiveX alternatives etc. but this should definitely be included "out of the box").

Is it possible to have a USB dongle license option rather than a registration key?

When the USB dongle is attached the user will have the full access to the Labview Version s/he has registered for, when it is not the program will only run in runtime engine mode. The advantage of this is that it would allow for system developers of multiple systems to be able to debug and test programs on the machines without needing to either have several licences or continually uninstall and reinstall labview from the machines everytime a change in the software is required.

At the same time, a USB dongle can only be used on one machine at any one time, thereby making it possible to ensure that there will not be more than one user of the same license.

I've seen this work for several small software companies as well as hardware companies with proprietary software. Why not for Labview?

Just a thought,

Karl

A lot of times while debugging I want to know what the value of a certain property is at different points in VI execution. The more complicated the code the harder it is to keep track of changes to the value of any property.

It will be cool if we could probe over any property node. Simple eg. would be probing over the "Value" property of the indicator below to know how it is being updated at different times in execution.

eg.1.png

or really any other property, that even if is not being written to explicitly in the code anywhere, one wants to keep a track of....like eg.2.png

Add a confirmation dialogue when changing type definition to control. I just experienced changing a type definition to a control by mistake and was scared until i realised that if i just kill LabVIEW at this moment that it would work as an undo. Of course undoing all the other changes also.

A simple are you sure dialogue wouldn't be so annoying as this happens rarely and don't believe that it would require lots of resources to implement.

The tendency of LabVIEW to indicate that 5 or 10 VIs have been changed for every VI actually edited makes maintiaining organized, legible version control logs difficult. To be kind to my co-developers, whenever possible, I try to keep the number of spuriously modified VIs down by intentionally not saving VIs that do not need to be saved. This would be a lot easier if the "Save all (this Project/Library/Class)" menu item behaved as it sounds intuitively. Currently, it functions to save all of the items in the Project/Library/Class, as well as their dependencies. In 99.9% of all cases, I did not intend to modify any dependencies. If I had intended to work on them, they would be in the library or project.

This idea is to have the "Save all (this Project/Library/Class)" menu item save only items inside the Project/Library/Class, and not their dependencies.

As part of the base package in the LabVIEW Developer Suite, include an integrated SCC in the IDE. We are using a third party SCC program right now, and it has it's quirks when integrating with LabVIEW. Our group is comfortable with the quirks now, but for a new group starting a new project, the hurdles might be big enough to nix SCC. If a LabVIEW-specific package was maintained with the IDE, those quirks could be reconciled for the LabVIEW-specific style (i.e., a file is "modified" when compiled, diffing two VI's, ...)

NI has been really promoting SCC recently, and I think they should officially develop (or adopt) an integrated package with the LabVIEW IDE.

I've just run into a "feature" of the LV2009 Parallel For Loops which is a bit of a nuisance!  The number of loop instances is determined by two values: 1) the number of instances in the Configure Iteration Parallelism dialog, and 2) the number wired to the P terminal of the loop.  It turns out that the number of instances created is the smaller of these two.

The nuisance is that if I wire the number of processors from CPU Information to P (as recommended) then when my new 16-core machine arrives (I wish!) I don't get that benefit unless the dialog value is also >= 16.  And the 64-core machine that arrives next requires the dialog value to be reset in every Parallel For Loop - or I set it to be some unreasonably large number now, and therefore it's pretty much meaningless.

My suggestion is that the default number of instances set in the dialog is "Maximum" - i.e. it will use the maximum number of processors available.  It should still be able to be set lower should the programmer wish to restrict the number below that.  Then the default case works transparently as the programmer would usually want without needing to wire from CPU Information, and there are no surprises down the track when loops don't speed up on a new machine as expected.

On larger diagrams (e.g. state machines) it's sometimes annoying to search for a special control or constant that defines the data type of the wire (especially if it is hidden or out of the visible FP area) or just to see the exact type of the wire.

To make this easier I have several suggestions:

1) add the data type to visible items: Right-Click to a wire -> visible items -> datatype   (should show either the basic data type like "U32" or the name of the type def control or class.

2) add a tool-tip function to wires. After a few seconds of mouse-on-wire the type / type-def name should appear

(ToolTip.jpg)

ToolTip.jpg

3) add an option to open the type def control file by right click to a w

ire (see RightClick.jpg); alternatively to #2 the menu could also show the data type

RightClick.jpg

I had the need in the past to draw isosurfaces from 3D volume data. My workaround was to export the data in xplor format (see also), then display the isosurfaces using molecular graphics software (such as UCSF Chimera). This is too indirect.

The code to do this directly in LabVIEW exists already in the NI Biomedical Startup Kit 3.0. Look under the section "source code":

• Create isosurface from 3D volume data
  • Draw isosurface for 3D picture control
While the full biomedical startup kit requires quite a few extra toolkits to work, these two isosorface tools can work in plain LabVIEW.
My suggestion is to add these two tools (and maybe others?) to the standard 3D picture control palette of LabVIEW.

They are of general interest. 😄

If I create an application and start it for the first time, an ini file is created with default values, which at least I d'ont know, where these default values come from. There should be a transparent method to configure the default ini options of an application. I think a new page in the application builder, which provides all possible ini parameters, is the way to go.

With this new feature I can shsre my exe without the ini file, too.

With how event source references are currently handled, it is not possible to add any additional event sources to an existing Even Registration Refnum. The user is required to know the number of events needed and statically configure the Register for Events block at the beginning. The Register for Events block is resizable when you have not wired an input for the Event Registration Refnum, as shown,

EventRegister.JPG

But this presents a problem whenever you are working with a preconfigured refnum. If you're working with an application that defines the events within a subVI and then passes out that Event refnum, there is no way to append new events to that refnum.

EventregistersubVI.JPG

The new Register for Events is not resizable and there is no way to combine the previous refnum with a new refnum you have created. This really limits the capability to expand and continue using the refnum throughout your code.

The only ways to work around this would be,

Preallocate many readdressable events that you can later overwrite,

• Use a datatype that has multiple elements (cluster/array) and use the different array indices as needed

• Preregister many event sources on first creation of the refnum, and then rewrite over those sources later

preregister.JPG

The last way to approach would be to just create another Event structure to handle the new refnum.

Has anyone else run into something like this and has a recommended way to approach? Any other approaches and recommendations to help make the Event refnum more flexible would be great!