LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post an idea

Hi Team,

Would be Great to add or Delete Input in Array [ Insert Into Array ]. Bit difficult to manage when used for reporting. Rearrange all input nodes if to add or delete a input inbetween.

Idea.png

Many Thanks

Anbu

Hi !

Often dealing with old code it's always a pain to install old versions of LabVIEW to get the code compiled the newest LV version.

For example, porting code made in LV 5.0 implies converting first to LV 7, then convert to LV 2009, and finally convert to LV 2013.

You then have to install these version, licences, ...

It would be nice to have a service on NI.com website from which we could send a zip archive containing the project to convert.

Then selecting the target LV version, a could service could unzip and compile the code across all versions of LV to have the code matching the requested version.

I would like the worfkflow to save a new class/library/project to be more like Save As... when creating a copy.  Mainly I would like the option to either use 'Current folder' which puts the class/library in the current directory, or the option I would almost always use, Save which creates a new folder with the class name and puts the class inside.

NewClassSaveDialog.png

which it is still not doing in LabVIEW 2015.

An image explains this best:

stripbookmarkname from bookmark text.PNG

Removing the bookmark from the text when it is already displayed as the group name will reduce the level of information noise in the bookmark manager, and make it easier to read the bookmarks.

Hi All 

if NI adds the Fuctional Global Variable (FGV) tempalte in design pateren tempates in hte New window, it is easy to create FGV VI's.

and Helps the programmers, no need to create from the begining of VI.

Even it is usefull for CLD Exam also.Smiley Happy

FGV Template.jpg

Search for Keywords is presently limited to logical "OR" search. It would highly profit from logical "AND" Search.

LabVIEW could highly profit from improved access to examples. I suggest to outsource the NI Example Finder to an advanced web search engine.

My software is used in microscopy, and the screen brightness can be annoying for people looking into the microscope. Nowadays, all microscopy has a range of dark colour schemes, to suit the user, to either work in complete darkness, or just low-light situations.      

I want to be able to do the same, i.e. make custom color schemes.   The system color schemes don't quite satisfy, so I really want to do this programmatically.

For most controls, i can nicely change all colors using the property nodes.  But strangely enough, some controls simply don't give the option, even though you can do it manually.  The color options seem to be very inconsistent in this respect...

For example, the numeric Knob or Dial are perfect.  You can set the color of the knob, as well as the color of the ticks, the text, etc.   Similar for a slider, where every little detail can be set.

But strangely enough, the normal numeric (digital) lacks the option to set the color of increment/decrement button.  However, can set those colors manually.   The menu ring however, doesn't seem to have any way to change the color.

That doesn't make senso to me....   Why give the option to set all the colors of some controls, and then not have that option available on other controls?  

My request is to make sure that ALL controls have the color properties you need to color them programmatically.  The Knob and Slider are nice examples where it is done very well. 

Currently, the "Tab" key is not individually mapped to an action for Block Diagram interactions; my suggestion is to use it to swap between "control", "indicator" and "constant", in the same way we already do with the options of the right-click menu "Change to Control/Indicator/Constant".

As an example, having selected a control on the BD, by just pressing "Tab" we would transform it into an indicator, a second press to a constant, and a third one would bring it back into being a control.

I understand this is a simple thing, but personally, I feel this ends up being one of the most repeated actions we end up taking as developers and I believe it would be intuitive to map it to a familiar key to many of us - tab.

Thanks all,

Cris

Remark: I'm using LV2015SP1, maybe there is already a change in LV2016 which I do not know!

Question:
Why is the decoration-element-palette of the block diagramm located inside Functions => Programming => Structures ??

In my opinion it's just a styling element which can be used for everything and nothing.
So my simple idea is to move it to the top level Functions-palette so that it can be easily found and reached.

A BD control/indicator/constant can be changed to either other type by contextual menu. For individual objects, Constant as well as Show/Hide are a choice; but for multiple selections, not -- why?

Screenshot from 2015-05-14 00:24:24.png  Screenshot from 2015-05-14 00:25:03.png

Note that this is not exactly a duplicate of Every GUI Programmer's Dream... (completed in Labview 2012), rather a part of the implied request which has been left out.

Sometimes / often it happens that I add an existing VI to an exiting class or lib.

In this case the icon of the added VI stays at it is and does not change to the libraries icon. I could use the lvlib-option-function "apply icon to VIs" but this changes all my VIs which is not appreciated!

What I suggest to add is a right-click option to the VIs icon "set library icon" (see attached picture).

(In LV2017) "Browse Relationshiips\Unopened SubVIs" shows a list of icons with truncated VI names - about 12 characters per VI. When looking through a list of similar icons, one has to hover over each icon to see the full VI name.  This is impractical when hunting through tens or hundreds of SubVIs.  If unopened SubVIs could appear as an alphabetically-sorted list of VI names, it would be very helpful.

Most of the time when I add an event it's a "Value Change" type - the default type.  I usually double-click on the Event Source wanting the dialog to accept the selection and close.  Since double-click (on event source) is currently ignored, why not treat it as if the "OK" button was pressed?

Ever tried to parallelize a loop?

You just have to place your mouse over what feels an approximately 1 pixel wide area on the left side of your loop and press the right mouse-button without moving the mouse. If there was no input or case terminal around a context menu opens that gives you access to the function you need.

Point anywhere else and the contect menu doesn't contain what you need.

The context menu entry could also show if the mouse hovers over any other parts of the loop as well to make the area easier to point at.

Currently, the only way to add a webservice to a project, is by right clicking a Target and selecting New->Web Service.

There's no way to add existing Web Service definitions to a project, other than manually performing the copy operation at the XML file level.

This prevents proper re-use of IP!

Webservice in project.png

I would propose extending the capabilities of a Library to also support Web Service definitions as Child objects.

That way, the library can act as a container for the Web Service definition, and can easily be reused in other projects:

Webservice in library.png

I tried using an XML editor to manually put a Web Service definition underneath a Library, LabVIEW didn't like that!

When you want to look for a specific VI in your project using Ctrl+F you have an handy option to search vi by name. But this is quiet difficult to find the VI you are looking for in this windows : All VIs are listed (without structure) and there is no Filter. Something similar to Event selection window would be much better (That would have a filter and where VI's would be grouped by libraries and class)

This "Find all instance" could also be added directly in the project explorer, in the Right click -> "Find" menu

Download All

The current legend properties are too low level - requires a loop to iterate on active plot and set/get legend text.

There should be high level (express ?) VI's to do the most common task of labeling a plot legend.

Yes this can all be done with lower level primitives today but why waste everyone's time with coding something that is always needed.

Ideally an express VI that takes a reference to a plot and an array of numbers of strings and allows the user to generate an appropriate legend for the plot based on the array input. The express VI can be saved and modified by the user for special, uncommon applications but most users can just use express VI to quickly create legend for plots.

Hi, I'm a EE currently working on a project with a group of others. Some in the group have significant Labview expertise and are developing .vi's to control NI-device-interfaced hardware that others & I have developed.  Those in our group that "speak Labview" are fairly comfortable reviewing and debugging each others' designs by reviewing the .vi files.  Unfortunately others of us such as myself have minimal Labview expertise and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.  To accurately/readily review .vi code, we would like more traditional formats such as Timing Diagrams.  In my experience, such formats not only can serve a broader scope of reviewers (thereby being more appealing in the marketplace as well?), but in many cases they hold potential for being more illuminating for reviewing, debugging, communicating, and so forth.

One of our software developers offered to develop such a tool, but as with most projects our staffing & time resources are scarce, and like many projects, software is currently on critical path.

I suspected that one or more tools to generate Timing Diagrams from a .vi already existed from NI and would have been in routine use by some developers.  Or if not from NI, then 3rd-party, or somewhat redundantly developed by thousands of project labs around the world.  NI Technical Support Engineering has suggested that I submit this entry here, so I am, first-time NI submitter.  The suggestion isn't tied to our project's particulars, but if the above suggestion isn't sufficient, possibly the below info about our application will help.  Thanks!

about our own application

Our medical-therapeutic research device will use a myRio-1900, interfacing with a user via wireless to a laptop.  The laptop will use code being developed with Labview.  Rio code is being developed with Labview-RT for the processor, and with Labview-FPGA for Rio's FPGA portion.  Interfacing to Rio's I/O, much of our custom circuitry is SPI-based, but with particulars that preclude using Rio's native SPI, so we've developed lots of SPI in the FPGA.  Among the external circuitry there's a total of about 100 SPI-interfaced a/d's, d/a's, and GPIO-interfacing chips.  16 battery-packs, each recharged by the instrument under software control, provide >500W of power to various regions of circuitry that spans 32 voltage-isolation barriers.

Here's one example of how the proposed tool would have helped us in the recent past.  (This would have been easier without COVID19 so that we could all be co-located and with the prototype, but ....).  During some debug, we eventually found that some bits were being generated or sampled on SPI clock (SCLK) edges that weren't compatible with some of the peripheral chips.  This would have been readily apparent if we had had timing diagrams showing the .vi outputs nCS, SCLK, and MOSI.  Those by themselves would have been highly helpful.  In addition, also helpful would have been to see some nodes that are internal to the .vi if possible, such that we could know when the incoming MISO line was sampled relative to SCLK.  We didn't need to see propagation delays etc., we just needed to see the logic manifestations on a diagram or equivalently easy for a .vi-illiterate human to digest.

Hope that's helpful.

-- Bruce P.  8/10/20