LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post an idea

Right click the tunnel to update the value.

event structure.png

bbbb.png

Sería muy práctico contar con LabVIEW en línea para las capacitaciones online y así evitar tener que portar un notebook o pc con LabVIEW instalado.

(English: "It would be handy to have LabVIEW online for online training and avoid having to carry a notebook or PC with LabVIEW installed.")

[admin edit] Added English translation, and corrected 'LabVIEW' capitalization.

It would great for documentation purposes  if you could put documentation links into you block diagram.  This would reduce the size of the vi and allow complete documentation of the vi. Very large documents of any type (pdf, dwg,office documents,pics) could quickly be opened from the block diagram.  The risk would be moving the document and the link becomes invalid. This risk could be minimized by placing a documentation folder in your labview project. 

Is it possible to have something like this? Even with 2D, 3D,... arrays.

Untitled.png

I was trying to isolate two versions of code by putting them in a "Version 2.0" and "Version 2.1" library, and then (at run time) calling the appropriate analysis routine from the "correct" Library based on values stored in the data.  In the process, I managed to corrupt the .lvlib file, and (because I didn't know better) tried to "correct" this error by deleting the .lvlib file.

What that left me with was a file, formerly in the library, that I couldn't open without LabVIEW complaining bitterly that it could not find "Untitled Library 1.lvlib".  In addition, I could not even create a new Project and "Add" anything without such an error message appearing.

After a few weeks of struggle and consultation with NI Support, we found part of the problem -- the file that was formerly in the (now-deleted) Library had "hooks" to the Library embedded in its header.  Since this is in a proprietary (NI) binary format, I would like NI to provide a utility that can open a VI (or anything else that can be embedded in a Library) and remove the "hooks" that associate it with a particular .lvlib.  If this function were a LabVIEW function, then the user could write a utility using this function to apply it to a file, a folder, or a directory tree, as the situation warranted.  This would allow large VIs "corrupted" by being placed in, and improperly removed from, a Library to be returned to a stable, non-Library, state.

Bob Schor

I would like to receive events that are generated by another program in LabVIEW executables. For example if another program tries to close my application with "CloseMainWindow" (see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.closemainwindow(v=vs.110).aspx) it is not possible to react on that event and the application is closed immediately.

It would be great to receive such an event in the LabVIEW event handler to make it possible to ask the user if the application should be terminated, files saved, close openend ressources etc. (like the events "Application Instance Close?" (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvprop/app_app_exitq/) or "Panel close?" (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361G-01/lvprop/vi_panel_closeq/))

In Diagram Disable Structure, if there is an option provides "Selector Terminal" that could help to control programmatically. This could be optional selection in RCM (Right Context Menu).

Connecting Enable/Disable as Constant/Control to Case Structure would not do all purpose as the functionally of Diagram Disable Structure Enable/Disable individual does.

Diagram Disable Structure have unique behaviour if this Selector Terminal is given as optional that will add even more vale to the same.

As programmer myself felt that why do this be controllable, because while developing big codes we use to much of diagram disable structure , when we are suppose to change to Enable or Disable, I has to search for around my code. If this has controllable option that help to do my work even more efficient specially while testing code. 

yrfj.png

In my experience, it is far more common to write to property nodes than read from them.  For example, I often enable and disable controls, but it is much less common to need to check whether they are enabled or disabled.  So when property nodes are created, could they be in "write mode" by default?

Hello would be good to have Integer number in the BINARY format switched with clockwise description of the bits.

See you VlaPet

Add a LabVIEW application method or property that would allow us to set the object of the context help so that we can specify a VI from a tree based browser (much like the Project Window does).

https://lavag.org/topic/9167-context-help-for-a-vi-without-loading/?p=54820

Short cut for VI Analyzer makes more handy ?

Cnt + shift + Q - Something like that 🙂

Hello

User-friendly if you could import/export the probe values from the "Probe Watch Window" (Probe Display) to a New VI. Would facilitate troubleshooting.

/Peter

Whenever I configure LabVIEW for myself, I set the Option for Revision History to "Prompt for a comment when the VI is saved".  I've noticed, however, that when I update a TypeDef (.ctl), I am not prompted, and need to re-open the TypeDef, go into Properties, choose Revision History, and add it "manually".

While technically one could say that a TypeDef, being a .ctl, is not a "VI", the logic that would provide a Revision History option to encourage developers to document their changes should also apply (in my option) to TypeDefs, as well.  You can "disambiguate" the Option by changing "VI" to "VI or Control".  If there are other things (like Classes?) that might fall into this basket, this option should be similarly "expanded" to include them, as well.

Bob Schor

It will be nice to have a button on the front panel of a VI (may be in the top right corner, near the window-minimize / close buttons) that provides a quick, "X-Ray view" into it's block diagram. After opening a VI if you press this button down on the front panel, you would get a quick glimpse of the block diagram behind it  while the front panel becomes semi-transparent. When you release the button the "X-Ray view" disappears. This will help the developer to quickly check the code behind any panel (when not needing to edit anything) without having to do a Ctrl+E and later closing the diagram. Also by pressing down the button, the developer should be able to drag the semi-transparent front panel around, over large swaths of the block diagram (typically larger than the front panel) to inspect all parts of the diagram.

I have big numbers in a display as well as numeric entry box. To simplify reading and entry I would like to display e.g.

1234567890 as 1.234.567.890 or 1 234 567 890 using a dot or space to group 3 digits each (like Excel and others can do).

Some Notes:

1) Should be added to integers and floating point values.

2) Should take care of different group separators and comma settings in US and Europe

3) Would be great for constants in block diagrams as well.

Can NI give LabVIEW developers an option to use a straight line for plot legend rather than zig-zag lines? See attached illustration. Will be great if the legend customization can also include separating the legend lines and expanding them so that plot labels can be relocated on-top of those legend color lines.

Anthony Lukindo

So I often find myself wanting "pointers" Smiley Frustrated But they are weird and not flowish in the labview world. Most of the time I don't want them for concurrency i want them for the ability to create complex data structures like link lists and such. And yes we can make them using DVR or priority Queues but it just seems like unnecessary overhead. I mean Pointers are really Really fast. So what options do i have.Options.png so who wins above? fastest to slowest:

Flow Count

ArrayRef

Variant Count 2

DVR Count

Queue

Variant Count

So I guess i could use a array and use indexes for reference but that would be tedious! Plus I can't remove an element from an array without ruining all the other references! So I suppose i would makes something a mix between a ARRAY a Variant and a DVR the data flow would be like the array and the references would be typed like a DVR wire. I Imagine it looking something like this:

I call it a SCOPE because i honestly don't know what to call it.

SCOPEIDEA.png

Well what do you think would this be useful to you?

Whenever I create a new vi as part of an lvlib the default icon gets erased making space to immediately enter descriptive words on the icon.

When I create a control as part of an lvlib it replaces the default icon by another default icon. This means when I want to customise the icon I have to first overwrite the default icon before I can write something on the icon.

So what I would like to have is something like this:

Left side is non-lvlib, right side is part of a lvlib (first row is the behaviour of VIs outside and as part of lvlibs, the second row is the behaviour of controls and the third row is how I would like the behaviour of controls to be):

control icons.png

This lvlib default icon is tempting people to the dark side of style by not encouraging them enough to customise their icons.

In the name of style, please make LabVIEW create lvlib control icons the same way as it creates lvlib vi icons.

May the style be with you.

I want to be able to search for calls of a particular VI, filtered by argument. This filter would treat any argument wired to something other than a control or block diagram constant as 'unknown'. You would only  be offered filters on things that can be simply represented in one text box (boolean, enum, int, float). I can imagine that ranges would be nice to exclude or require, but just single values would be very nice.

This is mainly useful for commands being passed into Action Engines or Functional Globals, but I can see other uses.

EXAMPLE:

I have a 'Settings FG' vi with an enum 'Action' argument.

I go to its icon in upper right, pull down, and pick 'Find All Instances'. There are many, many results, so I want to filter. Since there's only one argument that's not a cluster or an array, I only have one argument I can fill in. I pull down 'require value' for the filter on the 'Action' argument, and pick 'write' as the value to require. The list immediately shortens to a small number of cases.

On second thought, I select 'exclude value' as the filter and pick 'read'. A few more cases appear - those must be the 'reset' cases.

I check the 'include unknowns' checkbox so that on the off chance that I ever calculated the action to take, it would be in the list. Unsurprisingly, nothing else pops up.