LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post an idea

Registry VIs require a registry view to be selected. This differs depending on if you are using 32 bit windows or 64 bit windows. This should be auto detected by labview or be pragmatically be available to allow labview registry to be portable across different platforms.

It's almost 2014, time to make a state-of-art installer.

I think LabVIEW absolutely needs these features:

•  create a multi-language installer

make the dialogs translatable, or provide translated dialogs. This work can be done by the community in some weeks.

ability to create a 1 language installer, or multi-language installer (selecting which languages to incorporate).

The bootstrap installer will check the windows language and will load the appropriate strings for the dialogs. If the language is not present, english fallback.

PS: LabVIEW still has the problem of localization and globalization (runtime supports only few languages, built-in error codes are in few languages, no unicode, no easy tool for localization, no support for globalize application with culture-info formatting strings and dates, etc...) but this is matter of another idea.

•  add features to installer

Suppose you want to make a software made of 3 features (example: core, doc&examples, a plugin), and user can select the full installation (all 3), the custom or the simple installation (only core).

we need the dialog for this, and the ability to assign components to features in authoring

this is all pretty standard stuff nowadays.

• create a single file installer with embedded resources, exe or msi.

a single file is easier to download (1 click), we avoid tedious procedures like "make a auto-extracting zip files and run setup when done". A single MSI is a winner in enterprise scenario, where it can be managed better by sys-admins and their software.

• update check facilities

so software today is very changing: not only bugs, but according to Agile principles, today developers starts "small", and then proceed with increments and sprints, using tools like git, build servers, repositories, etc...

this is the way software is today.

if you develop software in a waterfall fashion....you are stuck in the 80s-90s, pretty much out of market.

So it is essential to have a built in update, at least an easy stuff.

For example, let developer specify a rss-like file on a server that has information about the latest software, and provide some vis that interact with that.

Don't you want to re-invent the wheel? Port Sparkle on LabVIEW (http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/).

This would be great for LabVIEW 2014.

I'll come back at august 2014 to verify lol

bye

Downloads and updates that self-extract to an installation image are often placed into different folders under "\National Instruments Downloads" even for very similar products or even updates to the same product.

For example, LabVIEW 2012 extracts to "\LabVIEW English\2012" but the f1 update extracts to "LabVIEW Development Environment\2012 (32-bit) f1"

The 2012 Run-Time Engine extracts to "\LabVIEW Run-Time Engine\2012 (32-bit) f1" while the 2011 Run-Time Engine extracts to different folders depending on which update it is.

The 2011 f2 extracts to "\LabVIEW\Run-Time Engine\2011 f2 32-bit\Standard" but f3 extracts to "\LabVIEW\2011f3\Run-Time Engine\Standard"

This can make it difficult when looking at one of the top level folders to know what it contains.  Is it a Run-Time Engine, an update ,or a main program file ?  If the main program and all its updates were under one folder, then by copying just that one folder one would know that all files and updates were included in the copy.

Steve

When I install a new driver package, I have to choose the language options for every driver (LabView 2011, LabView 2012, LabWindows/CVI, C, C++, ...).

It would be better, if there were global options, which languages I use with my system.

It would be helpful to have a way to code sign your software for Mac OS X Mountain Lion to get suppport with the new GateKeeper fiunctionality.  Having a code signing option in the application builder would be perfect.  More information:  https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/ToolsLanguages/Conceptual/OSXWorkflowGuide/DistributingApplicationsOutside/DistributingApplicationsOutside.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011201-CH12-SW2

现在的这个生产安装程序注册表只能填定值啊,能不能添加一些动态的值,比如用户选择的应用程序安装目录等。

还有当第二次安装的时候,安装目录应该直接指向上次选择的目录啊,

现在生成的安装程序,和常用的安装程序相比还有很多差距啊,希望改善。

It would be great if the installer destinations property matched up with the system directory type parameter to the GetSystemDirectory.vi.  These should go hand in hand.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvdialog/destinations_install_page/

I find conditional disables very useful for managing complex applications that require multiple configurations.  Often I have several versions of an application with some features removed (disabled depending on hardware support or target platform)  and use a conditional token to turn on or off these features.  What i find frustrating is that this is not connected (at least as far as I know) to the build process.  I would like the project conditional disable symbols to be overridable in the build script so that I can have several build scripts with different settings.

Password protected VIs can be imported and saved to a newer version of LabView. However, the password protected VIs can't be saved to a previous version of LabView. I am suggesting for LabView to keep a copy of the old version of password protected VIs and give a warning during upgrading to a newer version in case one has to convert to an older version.

i will be very happy if Labview  can support Spartan 3A/AN kit Board . i need for real time  Ehternet communication

can Labview support spartan 3A/AN kit? It would be very helpful for FPGA development.

Thank you

It would be nice to have a script to Activate Lab View after Ghosting our computers in our classrooms.

I have  two controllers under the same project . and both will run similar application. so i use same source code for both the controllers. and i don't want to disable auto deployment of variables. apllication is deployed  controller  one and it's running. after that if i deploy application to controller -2 unfortunately target settings  Target 1 also deployed while deploying application on target 2 . it should be rectified

Recently DMC developed a high speed vision inspection system using LabVIEW. This system inspects many different parts and each part requires different inspection criteria, so we needed to develop a user interface (UI) that could be used to configure the current products, as well as be flexible enough to configure new products.

The manufacturing machine was already running on a Windows CE device, so our UI would need to interface with the UI already on the system and run on Windows CE. For a faster development time we decided to go with C# .NET for Windows CE. Unfortunately, the .NET library and functionality for Windows CE is far less capable than the standard .NET library.

The Windows CE library was sufficient for most of our needs, but there were two areas that proved fairly difficult. The first difficult item was obtaining and decoding the custom TCP messages that contained the images and inspection results from the LabVIEW Embedded Vision System that was running the vision inspection. However, after spending some time encoding and decoding the images, the UI was able to access full-sized images from the inspection system.
The next difficulty was that once these images were on the UI we needed to be able to zoom, pan, and draw inspection areas on the image. In a full .NET library this would have been really simple, but for a Windows CE device it required some custom work. The first step was to create a custom control and place just a picture box inside. Additionally, I set the SizeMode to StretchImage. By having the image take up whatever size the picture box was, I was able to zoom by increasing/decreasing the size of the picture box. Additionally, I was able to pan by moving the picture box relative to the custom control.

I have included all of the back-end code that I used to make the image behave as I wanted. The code I had was significantly more complicated, as I needed to be able to draw and pan rectangles that were used for inspection zones. I tried to remove all of that code to make the items I am explaining more clear; however, if anything seems odd, it is likely a remaining piece of the old code. If anyone is interested in the rectangle drawing code I would be happy to provide more information. Here is a link to the simplified code:

http://www.dmcinfo.com/Blog/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/664/Image-Manipulation-in-Windows-CE-or-Mobile-using-VS-NET.aspx

Many modules aren't compatible with Labview 2010 64 bit, but there is no warning of that before installing Labview 2010 64 bit. So the user goes through hour(s) to install the software, only to realize it won't work when he/she installs a module (Real Time Module for example), and then has to uninstall and reinstall the 32 bit version. If it isn't compatible, let people know so they don't waste hours!

I did a search and did not find this. Hopefully it is not a dupe.

The event structure has become an almost integral part of LabVIEW programming. It should no longer be considered an advanced tool that is only needed in the full development system and higher. Events should be included in the base package. Maybe it means slightly increasing the cost of base and slightly decreasing the price of full. I don't know. But there should not be a LabVIEW that does not include the event structure. I own (my company owns) the development suite so I get nothing out of this. But if I were to buy my own copy I could almost see spending $1,249 but definately not $2,599. I am not going to spend over a grand for events and I am not going to program in LabVIEW without them either. So maybe someday, if this idea is accepted, I will get something out of it. And so will National Instruments.

Capture.PNG

Give the user the ability to upgrade versions of Teststand or labview without bringing the test equipment down for several hours. Currently it is quicker to image the whole pc than install a new NI software version. Some of the software (from other vendors) we run has propretiary configuration and imaging isn't always feasible. I would like to be able to upgrade from Labview 8.6 to 2010 without stopping production, just upgraded from 8.2 to 8.6 and on 50computers, on a production floor, it was logistically difficult. It would be a while before I consider upgrading again, with the current setup.

We just bought LabVIEW 2010 and I noticed that there is no utility avaible for converting a function panel (.fp) to a VI.  When will this utility be available?

I often need to build applications and installers that include VIs or .LLBs that have been built  earlier on...but this is a major pain because as long as LabVIEW recognises the file type it will try to link the VI or VIs in the library to the other VIs in the project, it finds conflicts etc. There are ways to come around it yes, but not very elegant ones.

Basically what I want is for projects to be able to treat VIs and LLB files as non-LabVIEW files. Just like you can include a text file, a JPG picture or other files in your project and installers I want it to be simple to add "completed" LabVIEW files.

One solution could be to have another type of project folder. We have auto-populating folders...perhaps we could have a folder for pre-compiled / to be treated as external sources folder...? In most cases for me LabVIEW could just see that the file does not contain any source code and then treat it as a "dead" file..or at least give you the option to do so (if there is a potential conflict).

Living in the dark ages I do not have web access on my LV development PCs and so have to go to www.ni.com/activate to turn on LV after every update/install. If I am lucky I can sit my LV machine beside my web PC and type in the computer ID code and vice-versa with the resulting authorization code. If I am unlucky bits of paper, pens and walking become involved. Having to authorise on each PC is reasonable but if I need to authorize more than one product e.g. LV and Application Builder (I have the Pro version) then not only do I have to licence 2 things but I have to enter ALL the data twice - a simple 'activate another product' button at the end of the activation pages (with data like pc id and licence number and name etc retained) would make life easier. My appologies if there is one already - but if there is it needs to be more obvious.