LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattjsimps

find all instances should work on primative VIs

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Quite often, I will see an error message in my log files relating to a built-in, primative VI - for instance TDMS write.

It can be difficult to locate the particular instance of the error if you have many calls to the the same VI on the same diagram.

For normal sub-vis, we can right click and do show all instances. But not for primatives.

This is sub-optimal.

I suggest the current find all instances be extended to support primative VIs 

5 Comments
TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

It's true that it would be easier this way, but note that the functionnality exist : in the "Find" windows (hit crtl + F) you can select "search for objects" and then select any item in the palette.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

mattjsimps

Well, isnt that obvious!

Ah, that does work, but its a same you have to spend 30 seconds doing something that could be accomplished by a right click.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

There's also a shortcut - if you have something selected and open the find window, it will automatically be used as the search item, so all you need to do is select the primitive and hit Ctrl+F and then Find. Not a right click, but not 30 seconds either. I find that this is good enough.

This shortcut also works with text.

Just saw this idea because I was about to suggest the same thing.  I agree that Ctrl-F then Find is equivalent, but that's also equivalent for VIs - if it's a good idea for one, I can't see why it isn't for the others.

It should also be present for any item which is findable, such as structures, typedefs etc.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.