LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveChandler

find all instances of typedef

The right-click > Find > All Instances menu option on typedef controls will also return constants in the find results.

Imediately after posting this I found the "find all instances" for a typedef sort of right there in front of me. Smiley Embarassed

But finding all instances returns the typedef used as a control. It would be useful to be able to find all instances of a typedef constant from the right click menu.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

9 Comments
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented

The right-click > Find > All Instances menu option on typedef controls will also return constants in the find results.

MarekTheTester

Where did you find the function "find all instances"? I have the problem that I have to replace instances and I cannot find where they are used. Someone can give me a hint how to find all the places where a typedef is being used anywhere?

Thanx!

Regards!

Marek

Darren
Proven Zealot

Right click on any typdef control, indicator, or constant and select Find > All Instances.

MarekTheTester

Oh........ I am so sorry!!!! I was meaning NI TestStand. At LabView it's clear for me but at TestStand?!

Sorry for my inaccuracy! 😞

DerrickB
NI Employee (retired)

Howdy Marek! TestStand isn't meant to be used for managing LabVIEW code bases; that would best be left to the tool designed for it: LabVIEW. It does have some convenience tools for navigating and debugging LV code but think about what that would have to look like to have that feature also work for C#, Python, and the myriad of other languages that TestStand provides some integrations for. It's best to think of TestStand as a layer over top of whatever environment has been used to implement code modules and as a separate step of test development from developing the code modules.

I'd recommend having a LabVIEW project to accompany any LabVIEW code base and doing any editing that has to do with typedefs, libraries, or classes (that is, anything that will span multiple VIs) should be done from within a project to ensure all type updates get propagated properly.

MarekTheTester

Hi There,

thank you for your replies. I think I try to explain with help of a screenshot what I want to do.

So I have some typedefs at NI TestStand like 'SACID_Diagnostic'. But this Typedef I would like to delete. But TestStand is not allowing it to me because I am using it somewhere else. But my problem now is: I cannot find the places where this typedef is being used. That's why I want to find all the places where this typedef is being used.

MarekTheTester_0-1670588998452.png

I only can see the files where this typedef is being used. But that's it. And this doesn't help me a lot. 😕

Thank you in advance!

All the best
Marek

Darren
Proven Zealot

As Derrick mentioned above, if the LabVIEW code that you're using in TestStand also resides in a LabVIEW project (which it should, as that will help you organize your code as you work on the LabVIEW side of things), then you could right-click the typedef in the project and find all its callers.

DerrickB
NI Employee (retired)

Sorry, obviously I didn't realize you were talking about custom TestStand types.

TestStand can't feasibly keep track of everywhere that a type is referred to and only knows about files that are direct dependencies of the sequence file containing the type or that are also open at the same time. You may want to look into using workspaces to manage multiple files easier but if the other sequence files using a type aren't really related to each other then there's no easy way other than documenting your types to track that yourself.

MarekTheTester

Hi DerrickB,

thank you for your answer. Therefore I have just to clean up the project and by doing that I will succeed deleting unnecessary types. Thank you again for your answer and Marry Christmas & happy new year! 😉

Regards
Marek