From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yamaeda

extra option on 'merge error'

I know that many extract wires 'upwards' and later on merge errors to collect errors and continue. From a layout perspective it's natural to add the top code to the top input of Merge Errors, but from a data flow perspective any error that happens there is often secondary to the 'base/lower' part of the code. This means you need to connect the top code to the bottom input of Merge Errors.

Wouldn't it be nifty if you could have an r-click option or input of "reverse order" or "merge from bottom"?

I assume that it behinds the scenes makes an array of errors and looks for the 1st one, so this would only add a 'reverse array' inside the function. To not have that ability forces you to do a Build array, Reverse array and Merge Error, which feels unnecessary.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
3 Comments
JimKhertzian

How would you design the merge error node to make it obvious it's reversed? When you read/debug the code we don't want to right-click the node to verify the reverse option was chosen...

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>How would you design the merge error node to make it obvious it's reversed?

Merge Errors.pngMerge Errors 2.png

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

@Jim if it's a Boolean input I'd say that's pretty clear. 🙂 Wiebe's suggestions are also really good.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer