From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiebe@CARYA

extend default reference of property\invoke nodes

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

An unwired property node of class VI defaults to the current VI.

An unwired property node of class Applicatio defaults to the current Application.

Why does an unwired property node of class Panel defaults to the current VI's panel?

This only makes sense to have for these classes (and some scripting classes not mentioned here):

Application

VI

Panel

Project

only to these classes it makes sense, because a VI will always have exactly one! Well, not Project, since a VI can exist outside a project, but it still makes sence to me to default to the current project if it's there...

6 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

You obviously haven't played around with splitters.  Your VI can have more than one panel.  The splitters split your front panel into many panels.  Therefore, it doesn't make sense to have a default of "this current VI's panel" since LabVIEW doesn't know which one you mean.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

You obviously haven't played around with splitters.  Your VI can have more than one panel.  The splitters split your front panel into many panels.  Therefore, it doesn't make sense to have a default of "this current VI's panel" since LabVIEW doesn't know which one you mean.

You are wrong. Splitter make panes. There is only one panel.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Oops.  That's what I get for not double checking myself.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

A VI can only have one panel *today*. 🙂

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

If we are going to get a MDI interface, I dont mind if this doesn't make it.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.