LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andi_S

exclude search paths / ignore hidden folders / don't search in .git folder

I'm working on several large LabVIEW projects and I'm using GIT.

GIT creates a hidden folder named ".git" within the repository root path which usually also the LV projects root path. All the different file versions are stored there.This leads to the situation that the number of files within the .git folder is much higher than the number of files which are directly used by the LabVIEW project.

If LabVIEW is missing a file or if a mass compilation is started in the project root, LabVIEW searches also within this hidden .git folder which leads to much much longer processing times.

There are several possibilities to change the behavior in an appropriate way:

1) ignoring hidden folders in general

2) ignoring .git and other special folders automatically

3) ignoring folders (and files) if they have been set to a blacklist before (how about a ".lvignore" file similar to ".gitignore"?)

3 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

@Andi_S wrote:

which usually also the LV projects root path.

I learned quickly not to do that... That helps too.

AFAIK, this also applies to SVN and HG.

I guess this will be a bigger problem (e.g. harder to work around) with nested repos (of any kind)? Those will also have a .git, .svn, .hg hidden directory.

leon42

What about an option to set in the project where it will search for dependencies. I always setup my microcontroller projects where to search for the files needed.

Andi_S

Yes, this is another idea. The complete "search path" option should be moved to the project settings. A new project should start with the LabVIEW default path values but then you should be able to modify it -> adding, modifying, removing but also excluding paths!