From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgcode

X-Control Display Icon (so an .xctl looks good in the Palettes)

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There is no further feature development planned for XControls.

When you create an X-Control the icon that you see is the Library's icon (as the X-Control inherits (indirectly) from Library class)
Usually this is just a banner as your icon is used to "group" and identify Library Member VIs (just like any other Library)

However, in the Palettes and Help it shows up like this: 

xctrl.png

Which is very uninformative (the main issue here is the Palettes) and not pretty.

If you were to go back to your X-Control Library and change the icon to a 32x32 image (e.g. something standard to represent the control) then this icon would propagate through your Library and mess-up/hide Member VI's icons!

Therefore, my idea is that, through the X-Control's Properties Dialog Box you should be able to associated the X-Control Library file with a custom icon.
Initially I thought linking to an external file (.ico or .png) would be good but now I think the above is nicer - storing it in the X-Control Library would be the best.
X-Controls are a special case because currently they are the only Library file that is can be added to the Palettes. 

X-Control Properties Dialog, General Settings Subpanel (Concept):

xctrl2.png 

Library Icon would then populate all Member VIs and have the same behaviour as any other Library's icon.
Display Icon would be used when viewing the X-Control file visually e.g Help, Palettes etc... 
Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
8 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
Or maybe just use the icon of the facade VI?

tst, that is a good idea - the only problem I can think of is that you would be forced to use the X-Control's Library's Banner (which may or may not be an issue for you).

So I would probably prefer full control, with a second 32x32 icon. 

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I like the idea.

As a workaround for now, you could create a VI which has nothing on its panel except the XControl, and put that VI in the palette as a merge VI (i.e., enabled the "Place VI Contents" option in the mnu file). The VI's icon would show in the palettes instead of the XControl's icon.

jgcode
Active Participant

AQ, good call. I like that idea for now.

Also, I wonder if it would help with this issue I am having too... (I will have to test it at work today).

jgcode
Active Participant

Thanks AQ, that worked as a workaround for the issue I am seeing 🙂

TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Adding a second icon would also enhance the  visability of the XControl on the block diagram (select 'View as Icon' on the terminal)

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
MFGC

Good idea!

It would be very usefull for me. I would like to show the XControl library icon in the contextual help.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

National Instruments will not be implementing this idea. There is no further feature development planned for XControls.