LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bdev

Wire values on Mouse Hover

I sometimes feel difficult to see the value of a wire while editing the VI. When "Retain Wire Values" is turned ON, I need to put a probe on that wire to see last executed value. Applying probe on every other wire while coding will result in lot of probes and also it will increase the coding time.

Having a way to view the wire value on Mouse Hover in edit time will be really useful. What I feel is, the value can be displayed as a tooltip or a dialog box similar to context help window which will disappear when mouse pointer is removed from the wire. 🙂

wire hover.JPG

10 Comments
Manzolli
Active Participant

When the programs finishes the values are lost. But if you pause it, like you showed with the breakpoint, most of the simpler data (numbers, strings and booleans, file path, etc.) is shown in a Tip Strip, just like you said! For more complex data nothing is shown, like file references, and others wires some information is given, like in arrays that it's size is shown.

What version of LabVIEW are you talking about?

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Manzolli
Active Participant
Sorry! Now I understand. The idea is to maintain the values like a probe after you stopped the execution completely. Kudos!
André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
CrystalTech
I like your Idea!  Many times I've needed it.  It may also be good to add Data Type: e.g. Labview (Str) or 235 (U16).  Sometimes the control is in the case 2 while the wire you are sampling is in case 4.  I know the type is in the HELP screen, but this addition would be for convenience sake.  
muks
Proven Zealot
I like the idea.kudos!!!
kalyanramuv
I like the idea...Kudos
Kalyanramu Vemishetty
Automated Test Systems Engineer
National Instruments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

muks wrote:

I like the idea.kudos!!!

kalyanramuv wrote:

I like the idea...Kudos

Any user can click on the number part of the Kudos button to see who all has Kudoed that Idea. Many of us have subscribed to different boards so that we can actively keep up with the interesting conversations, and when subscribe you do that you receive a separate email for every comment as soon as it's posted. Just a friendly reminder to post replies that add to the value of the conversation on the Ideas! Smiley Very Happy  Helps increase the Signal-to-Noise ratio of the comments, and keeps those actively subscribed to the boards from getting excited over nothing. Not trying to be a Grumpy Old Man...   Smiley Wink  Smiley Very Happy

KudosIndicator.png

JÞB
Knight of NI
I'm almost ALL for it.  But- only if it doesnt cause a huge performance hit and can be turned off like debugging

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant
Yep, what Jeff said. Great idea.
Richard

ragarwal

I am not really an expert G programmer, but my thoughts are as follows : 

a) Personally, I would only be interested in knowing wire values while debugging at the run-time(which is currently available through 'Retain wire values').

b) Performance hit : The values of wires would be constantly appearing(even when the user does not need them) when the user is just moving his mouse over the code - this would have hit on the edit time performance - though I am not sure how significant. Also, it may be little irritating for the user to see the values appearing/disappearing when he is just moving the mouse over the code. 

I think we may like to show the wire values by having 'hovering the mouse over' along with a keyboard click, something like, Ctrl + 'Hover the mouse over' - this would mean 'On demand display'.  

TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

What about showing the value in the Help window (ctrl-H)?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!