LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgcode

When a For Loop is Dropped Around a Node, Use Shift Registers Instead of Auto-Indexed Tunnels for Matching Scalar Inputs/Outputs

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

I think it would be nice if LabVIEW was smart enough to know that when I drop a For Loop around scalar inputs it doesn't auto-index output tunnels - but rather uses Shift Registers - for matching inputs and outputs.

The common use case for this is with the Error input/output - it annoys me how it becomes an Array output.

As it is already wired, inline and not broken, dropping a For Loop around it should not break my code! 

Reference or Class inputs are other use case too - I want to pass the same thing around not create an Array

Shift registers are better than non-auto-indexed tunnels (other option) as they protect the inputs on zero iterations.

21826iFF181EE2E7ECE408

This would remove one step required for most use cases, speeding up my development experience.

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
14 Comments
RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast
Defaulting to shift register does not make sense to me. In your example these tunnels do not need to be shift registers at all.
========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
crossrulz
Knight of NI

RTSLVU, you obviously haven't tried to see what happens to a reference that you are passing with tunnels in a FOR loop that is ran 0 times.  Hint: Your reference is lost, never to be seen again.  References HAVE to be in shift registers just for this exact reason, to preserve the reference.

And error handling also says that you should have the error cluster in a shift register to make sure you don't lose a warning or error.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Crossrulz -- I suspect that RTSLVU is hanging on the point that in the actual pictures in the original idea, the N terminal is wired with a non-zero constant. So he/she is right -- in these particular examples you do not need shift registers.

RTSLVU -- the point of the request is to be better code if the loop has a non-constant number of iterations. If it isn't constant, it might iterate zero times. Happens frequently with autoindexing input tunnels if the array is ever an empty array. Doing the conversion to shift registers on all For Loops is good general practice because code changes and what is constant today might become a parameter tomorrow.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014