LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FabiolaDelaCueva

Visualize which VIs have execution highlighting ON and be able to turn all OFF

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

After reading Jim's idea "Need a way to visualize VI call chain hierarchy in LabVIEW" I thought that in addition to that, it would be nice to see which VIs have execution highlighting ON. A bonus would be to be able to turn all OFF.

Sometimes, I use the execution highlight to see which subVI is running and not coming back, but then if I forget to turn it off. The result: my application runs really slow and I have to browse through several open VIs to figure out which one has execution highlight on. 

Jim had a good point that it would be nice to have a scripting property: "HighlightedExecutionEnabled".

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
7 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I'm not sure, but I think there already is such a property, possibly for the top level diagram class.

Yair is right -- it's a property of the VI's block diagram.

Highlight Execution

FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

Good to know that property is already there. I guess we can create our own tool to visualize all the VIs that have highlighted execution ON. 

Thanks Yair 😄

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
A-T-R

Hi there,

just a short question: How can I create this cyan-colored (?) Property nodes?

Thanks

A:T:R

BTW / Off-topic:

"FabiolaDelaCueva" is such a great, fine-sounding name! Don't get me wrong, I just like the "tone"...

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

The light blue header indicates that the node calls one or more scripting properties. If you're using 8.6 or 2009, you can go to the LabVIEW APIs group on this site to download the scripting installer. In 2010, scripting is built-in, but needs to be activated from the options dialog.

In any case, note that scripting can be very useful, but it can also be dangerous, so be sure to read up on it first and be careful where and how you use it.

P.S. Fab, I talked to Dahlia a few days ago and said Hi for you.

I know that this is an old thread, but I only now have run across it. In case anyone who followed this thread doesn't already know, the functionality being requested here was included into the very fine tool called the LabVIEW Task Manager, authored by Ravi Beniwal, with contributions from Aristos Queue and Darren Nattinger.  This fantastic debugging tool can, among other useful things, show you which subVIs have execution highlighting turned on or off, and can toggle that state. The tool is available on the LAVA forums here.

~Tim
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.