LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabric

Visual indication that a structure is hiding code beyond its boundary

Preamble:

Just following up on a sub-idea raised within this recent idea from tst: LabVIEW should break VIs which have hidden code.  I *almost* like tst's idea, but IMO it is a bit too heavy-handed:

• YES, I want better information when there is hidden code on my diagram, but...
  • NO, I don't want my code to break!

The Idea:

If a structure hides code beyound it's boundary, then provide a visual indication. For example, the edge of the structure could be coloured red to alert the user that something unexpected is going on.

hiddenCode.png 

32 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I should also point out the main objections I had to this idea:

1. Code can be hidden in other ways as well (behind structures, under other nodes or VIs) and this won't cover those.
  2. The hidden code might be in an unopened subVI or another part of the diagram and you won't know it's there unless you actually have the structure in front of you. This isn't a big deal if the hidden code doesn't do anything, but if it creates a bug (especially one which is not obvious), you would want to know it's there even if you're not actually looking at it.

tst: Your objections are more relevant in the context of your original idea (and I gave my counter-objections there).

This idea makes no mention of "other" hidden code. It is just about code hidden beyond the boundary of a structure.

tst
Knight of NI

> This idea makes no mention of "other" hidden code

No, but that doesn't mean the issue can be ignored. If the idea only solves part of a problem, than it's possible that it should not be implemented and that something else which does solve the rest of the problem should be implemented instead.

Kudos to both ideas. I want some indication that I have hidden code. Current way (no indication) is unsatisfactory.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Yamaeda
Proven Zealot
I'd prefer it'd be impossible to hide code that way. No structure should be able to minimized so it happens and blocks should be pushed away from each other if dropped over each other. A indication would be an acceptable 2nd option. :) /Y
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Manzolli
Active Participant

Any hidden code should be avoided. The new "minimal energy BD auto arrangement method" idea, presented by Jeff Kodosky at NIWeek 2012, would make visible everything automatically.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
tst
Knight of NI

> I'd prefer it'd be impossible to hide code that way.

Then I would suggest voting for the other idea or creating a third physics-based idea.

Does this still work? http://labviewwiki.org/LabVIEW_configuration_file/Block_Diagram#structuresFadeToDiagramBeneath

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
fabric
Active Participant

@crelfVO wrote:

Does this still work? http://labviewwiki.org/LabVIEW_configuration_file/Block_Diagram#structuresFadeToDiagramBeneath

Yes, it does indeed still work (LV2012) - but only for structures-covering-structures, not for hidden code such as the example in this idea.

hiddenCode2.png

(Nice tip though! Smiley Wink)

Silver_Shaper
Active Participant

Good job fabric. Kudos..

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD