LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabric

Visual indication that VI will run even on error

This has been discussed in various places like here, but I couldn't find an idea for it...

There are quite a few LabVIEW primitives which will always run, even if presented with an error on the "error in" terminal. Common examples are "Close Reference" and "Close File". 

What would be really useful is to have some kind of visual indication of this behaviour. Ideally this would be a simple marking on the VI icon which could be easily replicated by LV users when we create such VIs ourselves. (It could possibly even be an option in the icon editor!)

runonerror2.png 

Currently the only indication that a VI will run on error is this discrete line in the VI help:

runonerror.png

I believe a visual indicator would be much more fitting for LabVIEW as a visual language, and would make this behaviour far more obvious to LabVIEW users.

16 Comments
silmaril

AQ: Extending the context help as described sounds extremely good!

I'd love to have a options page with a lot of checkmarks that I can set to configure how much information I'd like to see in the context help window.

Jeff's ideas about reentrancy behaviour are a good start, but we could continue by making all the other execution properties visible. This might lead to a quite crowded context help window, so being able to configure the amount of information would be a good thing.

JÞB
Knight of NI

Jeff's ideas about reentrancy behaviour are a good start, but we could continue by making all the other execution properties visible. This might lead to a quite crowded context help window,

Exactly why I suggested Glyphs or Glyphs and TextSmiley Wink  But, as long as the CH editor needs an overhaul anyway (hint..nudge) adding visability for execution options that are non-default would sure add value and perhaps boost the development priority for a CH editor upgrade.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
David S.
NI Employee (retired)

My suggestion is to have a tool-tip pop up, similar to what pops up over terminals when wiring to a sub-vi

GregS, I completely agree! More tooltips and hover popups in the dev environment! IMO the new versions of MS Office are headed in the right direction.

David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

What about this:

ScreenHunter_006.jpg

dthor
Active Participant

Ick, I really don't like that one X. Sorry. It looks too much like it's not connected at all. I'm ok with a "coersion dot" type thing that was originally proposed. The only issue with it (that I can see) is that some people change the color of their coersion dots, and they may change it to green.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

What about this then:

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

JK. I think the IDE should blare some siren when you connect an error wire to such a function (or maybe a Clippit Assistant would pop-up a warning: "Did you know that this function is not going to ignore any error coming through that wire?").