LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Citabria

View probe values within the code during execution

Probes are so useful for debugging, but monitoring them within the Probe Watch window can be a headache. I constantly find myself focusing back and fourth between Probe Watch and the code to translate a probe number to a position in the code. A solution would be to have the probe's value float just above the probe itself. LabVIEW already has a similar feature. When you use Highligh Execution wire paths display their current vaules, but using Highlight Execution is too slow and no practical for every debug situation.

Here is the issue as it stands today:

probe_watch_window.png

Here is my proposed new feature! :

probe_text_annot.png

19 Comments
Silver_Shaper
Active Participant

Agreed

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

@Sazi wrote:

Agreed

I see what you did there.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Here's the beginning...

mySpringboard_BD.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Jeremie_CENTUMADENEO

This is not a bad idea and it can be useful for some codes...

But for a very long string (for example) or for an array or a cluster this is very difficult to have the value just at the top of the wire without loose some details.

Moreover I think it's very important to have the timestamp when the probes were changed to verify the dataflow.

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

The decoration can be moved to a convenient place, and the timestamp Is done in the probe.

DPTest_BD.png

Jim

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

@djé4474 wrote:

This is not a bad idea and it can be useful for some codes...

But for a very long string (for example) or for an array or a cluster this is very difficult to have the value just at the top of the wire without loose some details.

I agree with you.  It will be difficult to handle every case.  In fact, as it's currently written, it can't handle the Integer data type (see my previous snippet) and it won't be able to handle anything that can't be fed into a Format Into String node.

Jim

Clecio

Excellent idea

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Do y'all know you can pop probes out of the probe watch window and position them wherever you want on your screen? Does that fulfill this request?

AristosQueue_0-1593007938740.png

You can also right-click on a probe and choose "Open Window".

elset191
Active Participant

Ah, the old days...

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect