From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Damir

Version information in EXE

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Builder should automatically attach version of LV to EXE so it can be seen in Windows Explorer. So you can always ask unexperienced end user about version. I drove 1000 km with wrong version of LV on my laptop... Upgrade to new version is not always straitforward... And I always forget to set version information manualy...
5 Comments
jlokanis
Active Participant

It's already there for the LabVIEW.exe:

labview version.jpg

If you mean for EXEs you build with LabVIEW then I disagree completely with you.  The EXE should have the version you specified in the build spec.  And if you are doing things right, it should auto increment with each build.  There is no need to specify what version of LabVIEW was used to build the EXE.  If you are not including an installer for the RTE you EXE requires, then you can still download the RTE from NI.com.

-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Damir

I, ve ment this

Exe.jpg

Blank project, blank VI, everything default. I cant find LV version this exe was created.

For VI:

Vi_ver.jpg

is clearly not working for exe.

Idea is that LV AUTOMATICALY by DEFAULT embeds version info into EXE file.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

You can programmatically do this using .NET assemblies on Windows machines. Here is a community example (http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-3733) that shows how you can find this. I agree with your idea though that the version information should be displayed by default somewhere. Either in the Title Bar next to the VI name when you run the executable of in the Help>>About page (this shows the LV version but not the Exe version). The .NET assembly works great for getting the information on a Windows machine but that won't work on Mac or Linux. If we displayed the version information or at least had a user option to display it then it would be OS independent and I wouldn't have to add this extra code to my executables.

You can also find this information manually by right-clicking on the exe file itself and choosing Properties and then the Details tab in Windows 7.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

paripoornan

Check this cmd method....

tool version.JPG