LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos

Value of Child tag for newly added item in tree

Whenever we add a new item in tree programatically using "edit tree item" node,

2018-09-15_1719.png

We are not sure what tag would be set to Child Tag. Because if that tag already exists LabVIEW will appends a number to make it unique.

From help of "Edit Tree Items:Add Item Method"

The default is the string you wire to Left Cell String. If an existing tag already uses that string, LabVIEW appends a number to the string to create a unique tag for the new item.

It would be great if we can get the value of "Child Tag" as output as well, which is set by LabVIEW.

3 Comments
Active Participant

You do get the child-tag from the output of the top element "Edit Tree Items:Add Item". But I can agree that the documentation could be clearer on that.

Certified LabVIEW Architect

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! VIPM Github
NI Employee

thols

Got it. Thanks.Smiley Happy

Actually there was no help for output and I didn't check the value of output.

Example Gatekeeper
Status changed to: Already Implemented

The requested functionality is already present as described in the reply by thols. I have filed CAR 713843 against the documentation for the Add Item method to clarify that it outputs the unique tag for the new item.

DNatt, LV R&D