From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirsch

VI to draw a JPEG (from memory) into a 2D picture control.

Currently, the only native way to display a JPEG in memory on a 2D picture control in LabVIEW is to

1. save to disk
  2. read from disk
  3. display

See: 

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 11.09.39 AM.png

This is not only silly, but slow: on a reasonable fast machine with an SSD, this takes almost a second!

A simple request: A VI that can go straight from JPEG binary data (other formats would be nice) to a 2D picture control. This is very useful for applications that download images from a server - a pretty common thing to do.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
6 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

That sounds like this idea.

Add function to convert string to image

Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

NI already have this internally. I received copies of the codes about 10 years ago, to convert a JPG string to an image. I don't have them anymore, but as you're a bluey take a look at your internal systems to see if they're around. Maybe they could be made public??

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Thoric: We do? I've looked. Found nothing. Do you have any idea the names of those VIs?

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

There are VIs which do this for PNG (I think in the web services palette), but those were only added relatively recently. I believe there also VIs which do this for JPEG, but I think they only ship with the vision module or IMAQ and I don't remember if they output a picture or an IMAQ image.

I found the PNG VIs that Tst mentions.

Untitled.png

Darren
Proven Zealot