LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vt92

Use standard Windows keyboard shortcuts to change font styles

Available in LabVIEW 2018 and later. The Ctrl-B, Ctrl-I, and Ctrl-U shortcuts now bold, italicize, and underline text, respectively. This behavior only occurs while a text field is being edited. Otherwise, these keyboard shortcuts maintain their normal behavior.

It would be nice if you could change a selected font style by using the standard windows (MS office) shortcuts, such as CTRL-B for bold and CTRL-U for underline.  This would save many mouse clicks.

I realize that many people don't use Windows, so maybe it could be customized in the .ini file or would be dependent on what OS your are running.

font styles.PNG

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
25 Comments
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

I agree with and like Darren's suggestion.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I am baffled by the lack of enthusiasm for this suggestion.  At the very least NI could change things so we can assign Ctrl+B/I/U to Bold/Italic/Underline if we choose so.  Right now we can reassign those keys, just not to what we would like.  Give us the option, conduct a poll in a few months and see what % of users keep the original assignments.

elset191
Active Participant

I'm going to go ahead and add that ctrl+a should select all of the text in the control/constant/whatever, while it's being edited.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
vt92
Active Participant

Aside from some tweaks already mentioned, I still think this is a good idea.  If implemented, I would use it every day.  C'mon NI !

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
vt92
Active Participant

I still think this is a good idea.  I'm waiting....   🙂

>

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

Not sure if vt92 is still waiting or not, but now in LabVIEW 2013 there exists an INI token that turns on bolding text.

As demonstrated by Darren at NI Week, add QuickBold=True to LabVIEW.INI and you can now bold text on the front panel or block diagram.  In his presentation he linked to this idea post.  I love it and want the italisized and underlined to be added.  I also want the bold (and the others) to work in the VI Description, but that is another idea.

Patur

Adding QuickBold=True to LabVIEW.ini (LV2013) works swell Smiley Wink

Are there more *hidden* text edit features we should know about?

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
drval

I'm afraid I don't understand how context sensitive control meanings is a problem when we also have context sensitive help.  It seems to me that, whatever the mechanism is within LV for determining "context", it should be relevant to the "text" being considered.  To have this option setable via INI keys seems to me to be a very good step in the right direction, esp as it would allow the actual users of LV to comment on this after they've tried it in practice.  Some may well prefer the setup that AQ like whereas others will like the setup for text sensitive key combinations.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

The Eyes On VIs blog just had a post about this and why QuickBold=True isn't turned on by default in LabVIEW, at least not yet.

http://blog.eyesonvis.com/2014/08/06/quickbold/

Rehhoff

Regarding QuickBold - check this link.

Btw. in LV2012+, you can change part of the text in a label (e.g. a free label or subdiagram label), by selecting the text, and in the text settings, change the font, size, style etc. (or press ctrl-0 to get to the Font Style dialogue).