From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiebe@CARYA

Undo-able revert

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

After 17 years I still make this mistake.

So you've been working on something and feel you've messed up. So you revert the VI, only to find out the first 70% was not messed up... Sadly, you can't undo the revert.

I know it's a bit "against the nature" of the revert as it has been for the past 15-20(?) years, but maybe it's time for a change? I do understand it might be difficult from a technical point of view as the bkup-heap as they are probably won't support this...

5 Comments
Mythilt

Actually, the automatic backup feature could be used to allow for undoing reverts (This is the feature that allows for recovery after a crash.) simply have it do an auto-temp file save and to undo the revert just reload the temp file...main thing here is that it would still be a load from file, so your history would still be lost, but the original pre-revert file would be there.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>simply have it do an auto-temp file save and to undo the revert just reload the temp file...

Doesn't sound that simple. I'll have to dig into it to actually see what you're talking about and hopefully remember it the next time I need it...

I'd prefer an Undo.

Mythilt

I wasn't suggesting that is what you should try doing, rather that it probably wouldn't be that difficult for NI to implement using the auto-backup feature.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Ah, I though that might be what you mend after (always after..) my reply.

It wouldn't be perfect with losing the undo history, but it would be more then we have now.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.