From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lordsathish

Top and Bottom Terminal directions for constants

When using Block diagram constants wired to Sub VI's, some times we prefer them to be placed exactly below or above the sub VI when they are connected to the bottom and top terminals respectively. This is just to compress the code, so that block diagram looks neat.

Idea_2.png

When using LabVIEW Code Cleanup

Idea_1.png

Prefered - would make code cleaner

For this it will be great if we have terminals for constants from top and bottom also. So every constant will have three terminals top,bottom and the ususal one to the right. When user wires to any one of this terminal the other two can become disabled, this will make sure user connects only one wire to the constant. I guess people wont prefer  left terminal.

So our new constants will look like this: Idea_4.png

At any time only one of these terminal will be active like this: Idea_3.pngIdea_5.pngIdea_6.png

Hope I'm not duplicating ideas already in this forums (couldn't get to read all the ideas)

8 Comments
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Good idea. I also don't like when you clean up an individual wire connected to a constant, and it snakes around the constant making a S shape or something silly because the "hot spot" is on the right side only. This would fix that.

Richard

gandev

Nice idea!

dthor
Active Participant

Personally, I absolutely hate it when wires run from the top and bottom of a constant. Luckily I don't use diagram cleanup at all, so this won't affect me Smiley Wink

So I give kudos anyway, because I'm sure others would like this idea.

Davidson_D

This is really helpful!!

I have been tired many times cleaning up of such constants wiring.

rajku

I like it...it makes code lot cleaner .........

sridhara

Good Idea lordsathish

Logic

Good Idea.

Mr._Jim
Active Participant

What if this was an option under the "Block Diagram Cleanup" section of the options dialog?  (Honestly, diagram cleanup could use more options in my humble opinion.  To me it seems like a wild beast that's difficult to harness and has a mind of its own.)

To quote dthor, with whom I agree wholeheartedly, (emphasis mine)

"Personally, I absolutely hate it when wires run from the top and bottom of a constant. Luckily I don't use diagram cleanup at all, so this won't affect me :smileywink:"

Admittedly, I am a style snob and when it comes to hiding wire bends behind objects I'm a purist.

But hey, even if you completely disagree with my style choices, my point is that the user should have a choice rather than being forced by majority rule.