LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To improve FPGA code re-use, add support for physical I/O information in the cRIO module property node

FPGA code allows I/O references to be used so that code can be re-used/abstracted, like this

FPGA-SubVI.PNG

This could/should be extended to cRIO C-modules so that code can be re-used on multiple modules. This would require the 'cRIO Device' property node to return an array of I/O Refnums that could then be passed to subVIs or other modular code.

For example, if I have code for an analogue input module (say, NI 9205) which filters and processes the data, and I wish to re-use that code in multiple experiments I have to manually change the module name in each IO constant or node (Mod1/AI0 to Mod3/AI0) if the module moves or I need more than one of the same type.

Conversely, if the cRIO Device property could provide the I/O references, the code could accept a cRIO Device constant and the reusable code extract the I/O references. The code would then adapt from Mod1/AI0 to Mod3/AI0 as the cRIO device was changed from Mod1 to Mod3.

It would be added to these properties.

FPGA-cRIO-Prop.PNG

Thanks,

Richard.

1 Comment
Active Participant

I think this idea should me moved to the LabVIEW FPGA Ideas

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil