LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
sriveni

Text Ring with Case Structure : Display of Item Names in the Case Selector Label

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

Hello Team,

When Text Ring is wired to Case Structure, the Case Selector Label displays the Item Values (Numeric) instead of Item Name. It is difficult to keep track of values when we work with large Item Values like error code etc… and also have another issue, if we update the Item Value of an Item in the control, the Case Structure Label does not get automatically updated.

It would be useful we have functionality similar to ‘Enum’  when wired to Case Structure, the Case Selector Label displays the Enum Names  and also automatically updates the Enum Names in the Case Selector Label if the Item Names are updated.

Enum can’t be used in this case because  the Item Values are sequential and can’t give defined values for the Items Names.

In general when the Text Ring is wired to Case Structure:

1.        The Case Selector Label should use the Item Name instead of Item Value

or

The Subdiagram Label should be automatically displayed with Item Name.

1.        When the Item Names are changed, the Case Selector Label should get automatically updated with Item Name. 

6 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Here's the problem with rings: They can change at Run Time.  In order to have the string for the case structure, you need something that is set at Edit Time.

So what you really want is this: Add sparse enums to LabVIEW

Therefore, I would call this a duplicate.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I think he's really only looking for an IDE helper to give a string ID to pre-defined numerical states within the case structure.  That being said, sparse Enums would also solve the problem.

I personally would LOVE the opportunity to label case structure states independently of the input type.

I wanted to link to an idea I had posted ont his idea but now realise that I never DID post that idea.  Hmm, how about the ability to label the cases of a case structure using something else other than the input selector value.  I know on RT casts to enum are ridiculously expensive and that would certainly solve THAT issue.

I'd also like to be able to label cases with Boolean inputs, with U8 Inputs or whatever.  Please bear in mind I'm referring to a purely IDE feature, nothing which would cahnge the compiled code in any way.

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Perhaps the IDE can display the ring text in the selector label but switch based on the numeric value.  This will allow the text to change at run-time but, if the numeric value is unchanged, the switch will still work.  If the numeric value changes it should default.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Intaris wrote: I personally would LOVE the opportunity to label case structure states independently of the input type.

Like the Subdiagram Label?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Crossrulz, nope, not like the subdiagram label.  I want to be able to see the text when I click on the case selector so that irrespective of the data I'm using to drive the case, I can see the labels for each case.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.